Roll Bar?

For the racers out there!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Roll Bar?

Post by dbrick »

Agree, in a single car spinout/slide on an autocross course, doubt it would flip. Race track or road with other cars, all bets are off. I have one here that mounts to the usual spot on the floor, but the rear legs bolt through the shoulder belt bolts. Main bar height is w ay too low, but the concept is good, May be able to use it as a pattern.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Re: Roll Bar?

Post by SLOroadster »

RFR wrote:
SLOroadster wrote:
Honestly, I think it would take a huge amount of talent to put a roadster on its top or even on its side.
I would tend to agree with this statement.
On the 405 freeway in SoCal, I lost a rear wheel in my 67.5. This resulted in getting hit by the car next to me and being spun around a time or two finally coming to rest by hitting the center divider. All three wheels that were left, never left the ground.
So yeah, I imagine it would be pretty hard to roll or flip a roadster on an autocross course.
I've seen pics of Andy Cost's creation (I can't call it a datsun roadster, there wasn't enough left) on 2 wheels, but they were HUGE full race slicks. I know for a fact that my car slides long before it will two wheel. I'd have to lose it, slide and hit something sideways to get the car on two wheels. I have to admit, its fun as heck to go blasting into a sweeping corner well up in 3rd gear with a "drifter" (who was talking alot of trash on grid) in the passenger seat (the same corner he dropped to first gear to step the back end out for...) and go sliding through the corner without hitting a single cone. After that run I asked if he wanted to go for another run. It was pretty clear I had scared the crap out of him. Oh, I was on Kuhmo V710s at the time.

I've had my car on 3 wheels, the inside rear well off the ground but the car starts drifting in that situation. It makes for a lot of work through a tight slalom when it does this.

I could see it happening on a big track if one were to put a wheel off in a corner at 100+ mph. Even so, it might be a wild ride, but with the low center of gravity a roadster has, I see it sliding off in random direction X. It'll scare the ef out of you, but I think the odds are in your favor that you'll be right side up and covered in dirt/dust. (No, I don't want to personally find out.)

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!