General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Any difference in shift plates?

Post by ppeters914 »

First I searched the parts manuals, but could not find the shift plate. If I'm blind, please let me know which manual and page.

Then I searched the forums and mail list archives, but not much there either.

I understand the 4-speed and 5-speed plates are different, but is there any difference in the plates between early (low windshield) and late (high windshield) cars? Any way to tell 'em apart other than the 4-speed and 5-speed shift labels?

Thanks.
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
Linusrp
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Linusrp »

Pete,

I believe the low versus high windshield models do have a different shift late due to the different radio mask/console and center consoles. The low windshield models have a horizontal face plate which is wider than the high windshield radios which were mounted vertically. The low windshield shift plates are a seperate piece and they screw down at four corners to the transmission column, while the high windshield shift plates hook under the radio console with small tabs at the front of the shift plate. The late model high windshield shift plates are actually attached to the center console. At least the ones I have removed.
1967 1600 restored
1968 1600 Gone & Buried
1970 1600 Gone & Buried