Gauge Replacements

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

clunker
Roadster Nut

Gauge Replacements

Post by clunker »

After reading every thing this site has to offer on gauge replacements I feel pretty good about doing this conversion on my 66' 1600. I do have one question though... Has anyone converted their R16 to an eletronic speedo? I am just wondering how possible this would be as my future might hold a motor swap that would no doubt need an electronic speedo and I would rather not buy two gauges. Any help on this topic would be apreciated.

I was also thinking it would be nice if some of you gauge swapper could post some pictures of your dashes and list what gauges you used to give me a feel for how the different models look in the car.

Thanks,
Steve Moore
1966 1600 (swapping a U20 in)
---------------------------------------------------
Nope, its supposed to make that noise.
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Gauges

Post by S Allen »

Steve,

I thought about putting in an electronic adjustable speedometer in but decided not to because of the cost. I like the fact they can be dialed in to give you an accurate MPH reading. My speedo on the stroker runs just about 10 mph fast. I can fix that with the correct gear in the tranny but I have not taken the time to do it. Here is a shot of my gauges in the stroker.

I used the Autometer Sport Competition gauges-3-1/2" for the speedo and tach and the 2-1/8" gauges for the rest.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Daryl Smith
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Gauge Replacement

Post by Daryl Smith »

Steve,

I have opted for the Classic Instruments gauges as they are pretty close to stock looking.

I have adapted their sending unit to fit our box.
What I did was cut the pin that inserts into the transmission from the cable, put it into a lathe and drilled a 1/8" hole in the centre.
The Classic Instruments sending unit has a 1/8" square drive pin which is removable from the unit. I cut it to length (careful measuring before gluing it together - Classic told me if there was a problem they would send me a new pin, they were very helpful), rounded the corners some on one end to fit into the cable pin, and epoxied the two pieces together. The epoxy I used claims a 3000 lb shear strength, so I think it will hold.

The 7/8 - 18 (?) thread requirement seems to be standard for most transmissions, so it bolts right on.

PM me for some pictures (of the sending unit - the gauges are not installed yet).
shifty
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by shifty »

Steve,

I noticed you moved the turn signal over to the left side of the steering wheel.

Did you move the stock one over? Probably easier on a low-window car without the ignition switch on the column.

I keep turning on the wipers when I go to make a turn in the Miata, then reaching for air when i'm in the roadster. Drives me nuts. I always have to ask myself "which little white japanese roadster am I driving right now?"

Anyone moved the turned signal to the other side in a high-window car?
Leigh Brooks

http://www.shiftco.com - my blog about cars (and stuff)
Latest post: http://www.shiftco.com/radios/the-test-mule/

67.5 SRL-00139 sleeping
67.5 SPL-11481 suspended animation
67.5 SPL-12961 snoring
67.5 SPL-13622 - H20 PWR!
S Allen
Site Admin

RE:Gauges

Post by S Allen »

Leigh,

Turn signal is in the stock location for a low windshield car. I think it is any ways?? 8)

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
DELETED

Autometer Phantom

Post by DELETED »

DELETED