Leaf Springs

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Dave
Turbo Powered
Location: In the refrigerator, to the left of the mayonnaise, behind the pickles and beer.

Post by Dave »

Re-Arching the spring is something I'd be interested in because I have one spring that sags. The other is fine. The right rear side of my car is a good 3/4 of an inch lower than the left rear side.

How did they know what dimention to re-arch the springs to? Did they have stock measurements to target or were you like me with one good spring and one bad so you could take both in and say "make this one match this one."
Dave Kaplan

68 2000 Roadster - Now with GT2560R power!
SR20-DET: 223 rwhp, 222 lb-ft.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/698904
ganderson

Leaf spring re-arch

Post by ganderson »

Hello Dave,

In my case the guy put a floor jack underneath the differintial and lifted until told him"that's good" which happened to turnout to be a 2 1/2" lift...

Now he did offer to increase the stiffness or soften the stiffness.BUT in my case I wanted my springs to stay the same BUT I needed the height to change...

All that to say if it is only oneside that you want lifted it can be done...

I guess it would be best to ask the professional his thoughts maybe they can measure spring stiffness side to side.....

The number to US Spring is 510-653-4870 .The owner usually answers the phone he can tell you exactly what can be done....

GOODLUCK

gene

67-1600

69-2000

70-2000

I love them all equally :D
Dave
Turbo Powered
Location: In the refrigerator, to the left of the mayonnaise, behind the pickles and beer.

Post by Dave »

Thanks Gene! I looked in the phone book and found a couple of spring shops in the area. I'll probably just drop in on them and see what they have to say.
Dave Kaplan

68 2000 Roadster - Now with GT2560R power!
SR20-DET: 223 rwhp, 222 lb-ft.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/698904
ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ppeters914 »

This subject was discussed earlier this year on the mail list:
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net [mailto: owner-datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of Scott Occhiuto
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2005 12:13 PM
To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rear suspension help?

Hi Paul!

I have had very good luck with having the stock springs re-arced. I didn't want stiffer springs, but wanted them lowered. My request was that they both be even (my car was sagging to the left) and that they lower the rear end by 1/2". It came out exactly like I requested - measured the before and after on both sides. Amazing that they can de-arc them as well.

They took them apart, removed rust, rebushed them, repainted them, and added new U-bolts. They look brand new. $292 plus tax. If you are in the Seattle area, the company is called Craig Auto Springs and came recommended by classic car shops and owners.

It's been almost two years now and they are still even.

Hope that helps!

Scott.

--- Keith0alan@aol.com wrote: Paul,

J. C. Whitney has some coil springs that clamp to the outside of the shock. I am using the lightest ones (750lb, I think) and they work great. Also you can get overload leaf springs that bolt to the original springs. One of the other guys here in town is using them with good results. We both went to the repair manual, looked up the rear bumper height and adjusted accordingly.

keith

In a message dated 3/18/2005 6:01:28 A. M. Pacific Standard Time,
9laser3@bright.net writes:

My '69 1600 is beginning to show it's age with a bit of sagging in the rear end. The shocks are fairly new KYBs. The leaf springs are almost level to the ground behind the axel and before you ask, that's with out my bulk in the driver's seat! I'm looking for some inexpensive ways to get back some of that youthful bounce. And I'd rather not flip the back shackles.

TIA, Paul Kort
Ohio
My leafs are flat to arching the wrong way, so guessing they're ready for some re-arching. Be interesting to see what the axle-to-fender lip measurement is once I lower it off the cinder blocks. 8)
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
JoeK
Roadster Fanatic

Post by JoeK »

Did that price of $450 include removing the springs from the car? How about alignment afterwards, if needed?
Joe
Former owner of:
'68 2L
BLK SRL
sold 12-11-2012
ganderson

leaf springs

Post by ganderson »

It was everything included.And to be honest I could not tell you if they removed the springs or not..I would bet dollars to doughnuts that they did because he offered to add a fresh leaf to stiffen.

US Spring 510 653 4870

on MacArthur&Adeline