Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Conner
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

U20 Engine Stand Mounting Points

Post by Conner »

Which points on the U20 block have people used to mount the engine on an engine stand? I'm assuming I should mount it on the flywheel-side; maybe I'm wrong about that.
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
toolsnob

engine

Post by toolsnob »

all stands that I see are held with 4 bolts on the back where the tranny would bolt up.
FergO2k
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

engine stand mounting

Post by FergO2k »

Yep, as suggested, all engine stands mount on the flywheel side. (all I have ever seen) And, on the Harbor Freight variety, you have to remove the clutch pressure plate, or else the mounting bolts have to extend too far, and are loaded in bending rather than tension (bolt stretching). Be careful, as the pundage of the stand presumes you have the engine bolted up tight, not hanging out there on bolts that are being bent. You swivel the stand and the bolts bend the other way, and it might not happen the first time, but it'll fall. Use washers to take up the slop if you need.
Conner
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Conner »

Thanks. I have removed the pressure plate but wasn't sure if the flywheel had to come off. I am working on getting some longer bolts that will fit the holes where the bellhousing mounted to the block.
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633