General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

kogi
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

imported vehicle registration

Post by kogi »

has anyone in california and abroad have any experience with dmv?... i need to register a vehicle that used to reside over seas.
-- no title / no dmv pre record / but with bill of sale --

thanks
ken
66 spl311
san marcos, ca
TR

Post by TR »

Any experience outside of the run of the mill stuff with the DMV in CA is a nightmare.

You'll probably need smog, safety inspections, etc. They will have a list for you and when you complete and bring it in, they'll decide that you need to complete another list of things...
ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by ppeters914 »

I hope this car had a US-import version. A zillion years ago, a friend brought his car back from Japan courtesy of the US Navy. It was a 3-cylinder Honda (hmm....or was it a Toyota?) sportscar that met none of the current US safety/EPA/FDA/etc regulations.

Registration was lax, so he was able to slide it through registration. A few years later when he had to process a new title and/or registration (I forget which), a more alert DMV person started grilling him on it. The only thing that saved him was the fact that the car had snuck through previously, otherwise he would've had a car he couldn't drive.

Good luck.
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
kogi
Roadster Fanatic

Post by kogi »

thanks guys... for your input
i've let it go :cry: ...
dmv needed 17 digit serial number and this vehicle only has 13...
not to mention that it is a 2 stroke smoke bomb...
(street version of a gp bike - available to every country on this planet except US of A)

thanks again...
ken
66 spl311
san marcos, ca
toolsnob

car

Post by toolsnob »

CA won't let a 2 cycle on the street.
kogi
Roadster Fanatic

Re: car

Post by kogi »

toolsnob wrote:CA won't let a 2 cycle on the street.
they (dmv) told me that - the law was revised last year to get the 2 strokes off the streets but it might have been possible - only if it was registered before the dead line.

now... they are only accepting 83 or older (like yamaha rd/rz)

it's probably safer on the dirt anyways... knowing how much oil dips out of these roadsters :shock:
ken
66 spl311
san marcos, ca
Redtail

Post by Redtail »

what about scooters? Those are all 2 stroke and I think they are still being sold new. If they want to cut down on 2 stroke emissions that's the place to look - not motorcycles.
kogi
Roadster Fanatic

Post by kogi »

Redtail wrote:what about scooters? Those are all 2 stroke and I think they are still being sold new. If they want to cut down on 2 stroke emissions that's the place to look - not motorcycles.
yea!!! NOT FAIR :evil:

something about 50cc and under is still exempt from the dumb-azz idiotology
ken
66 spl311
san marcos, ca
TR

Post by TR »

All new scoots are 4 strokes. 2 stroke dirt bikes were the last to be sold. As for weedwhackers, etc. - there seems to be some kind of phase out. My new chainsaw is a 2 stroke and has a catyletic converter on it!

I used to have a bunch of RZ's. Always loved that obnoxious 2-stroke sound and power band. A 2 stroke car motor could be serious fun, given that they get 500hp from the 500cc GP motorcycles...