Won't charge?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Jorge022770

Won't charge?

Post by Jorge022770 »

Here we go again! Out of the blue, the car won't start again.....now it acts like when the battery is going dead...it turns slowly and slows down til there's no juice. The battery is 2 months old.

I jump started with my car, and it started right away. Then disconnected the jumper cables, and it kept running fine. Ammeter gauge is right in the middle. BUT, once I turn it off, it won't start again.

So I jump started again, started instantly, and I left it longer at about 1250-1500RPMs, warmed up, turned it off....and will not start again!

What is going on here!!??!!??!!?? :x
hport
Roadster Fanatic

Post by hport »

Ground cables !
68 2000 solex
TR

Post by TR »

Is your battery post connection clean and tight?
Jorge022770

Post by Jorge022770 »

Guys:

Just two weeks ago when I had the starter problem I re-check all the grounds in the process of ruling things out.

As to the battery, both poles and the battery itself are less than 2 months old...........but I must say that the "symptoms" ARE consistent with battery and/or it's connectors?!?!?!?! :roll:

If the alternator was the source of problems, would the ammeter or any other component show anything peculiar? And, does the voltage regulator affect starting at all? :?

Thanks guys.

Jorge
hport
Roadster Fanatic

Post by hport »

It's possible you have a bad battery at times ( shorting cell). Do you have another battery you can try? After starting, hook a voltmeter to the battery, is it charging?
68 2000 solex
TR

Post by TR »

My only thoughts...

Are you sure the ammeter is working? Maybe it is disconnected or broken and the car actually isn't charging.

Or the battery is defective.

But it really sounds like battery cables or connections, have you replaced/cleaned them?

You can always take it to Kragen or the like and ask them to diagnostic the battery and charging system. Bring your spare battery and jumper cables so you do not get stuck! TR
Jorge022770

Post by Jorge022770 »

TR: The ammeter seems to be working because, like I wrote in posting a couple of weeks ago, when the turn signals blink the ammeter oscillates slightly towards the ( - ) end.

hport: I will have to go get an ampmeter later today.... in the past weeks I've realized that I really need to have one handy all the time!

I'll go back to the car...and I will keep you posted

Jorge