Newbie on board...

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

justinmc

Newbie on board...

Post by justinmc »

Hey new guy here.. I haven't picked up my roadster yet but its currently hanging out at a friends shop waiting for me to go get it. I've got a couple of projects at the house I have to get done before I can get it so that takes priority. Anyways... I forget what year she is, etc. I just happened to be visiting him a couple years ago and saw this roadster shoved in a corner of the shop all piled over with boxes. I asked about it and he said it was his shop "queen". Well he moved shops a few months ago and I bugged him about selling the roadster. Needless to say it's mine. She's gonna need some work.. I believe it was an original spanish red car. It runs and drives (when the tires have air in them!) but the brake system is pretty much shot (first upgrade!). You can see from the tags its been sitting since 1975. Its spent most of that time indoors in various garages. Just thought I'd introduce myself and say "hey". I'll be reading up on various things and honestly the U20 motor probably won't stay I'll swap it for a more modern and parts friendly KA motor.

ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ppeters914 »

YIKES! You have one of the rare 67.5 2000's. Nice find. :cool:

It's your car, but expect some "comments" about doing any kind of swap to a 67.5 2000.

Keep us posted.
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
Dave
Turbo Powered
Location: In the refrigerator, to the left of the mayonnaise, behind the pickles and beer.

Post by Dave »

You sure it's a 2000? It looks like the emblems say 1600. Maybe it's a 1600 that had the U20 swapped in.
Dave Kaplan

68 2000 Roadster - Now with GT2560R power!
SR20-DET: 223 rwhp, 222 lb-ft.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/698904
justinmc

Post by justinmc »

Dave wrote:You sure it's a 2000? It looks like the emblems say 1600. Maybe it's a 1600 that had the U20 swapped in.
I believe your correct.. I called my buddy and he said its a 1600. Which means on one will hate on me for putting in a KA ;)
Datrock
Roadsteraholic

Post by Datrock »

My guess is it's a spl because of the 120 speedo, 7000 RPM tach and no licence trim.. Bill
S Allen
Site Admin

RE:

Post by S Allen »

67.5 1600 low windshield-good find-and it will like the KA. Good luck with the project. Got a VIN#? Register it on the registry when you get a chance.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by ppeters914 »

Ack! I'm an idiot. Thought those were 2000 emblems. :oops:
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
Conner
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Conner »

Hey the car looks nice. Interior needs some work, but so do most of them. The fact that it was largely stored indoors is a major plus. The body looks pretty straight which is nice because bodywork is expensive.
Given that the motor appears to have already been swapped, I think an SR20 or KA24 or QR25 is in order.
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

Nice find! Does it have a U20 or R16?? Where are you located? Congrats on the new project!

Joaquin
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

The engine may have been swapped, but its still the correct engine for a roadster. I vote leave the U20 in it, and the modern engine out. By dropping a modern engine in it, you will just devalue the car. The U20 is a great engine.

Nice find,
Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
Conner
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Conner »

Well, on the other hand, even a non-numbers matching R16 is a swapped motor and therefore de-values the car.
In my opinion, there are two categories: numbers matching=original and swapped. Once you have left that first category I think the up or down steps in value are second-order effects.
If it were an all-original car I'd strongly suggest keeping it so, but since it already isn't I'd suggest you choose the engine that gives you the power/weight/cost combination you are looking for.

This is just my opinion and I realize this may be a "hot button" issue, so I don't mean to hijack the thread. I realize I may be drawing a somewhat arbitrary line and although my logic makes sense to me it may not be how everyone feels.
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
justinmc

Post by justinmc »

Conner wrote:Well, on the other hand, even a non-numbers matching R16 is a swapped motor and therefore de-values the car.
In my opinion, there are two categories: numbers matching=original and swapped. Once you have left that first category I think the up or down steps in value are second-order effects.
If it were an all-original car I'd strongly suggest keeping it so, but since it already isn't I'd suggest you choose the engine that gives you the power/weight/cost combination you are looking for.

This is just my opinion and I realize this may be a "hot button" issue, so I don't mean to hijack the thread. I realize I may be drawing a somewhat arbitrary line and although my logic makes sense to me it may not be how everyone feels.
I appreciate the input.... I don't think I'd do a U20 swap and try to make it a "fake" 2000. That to me seems kinda pointless. Kinda like all these guys who buy 6 cyl camaros then put RS/SS badges, etc on them. Why work so hard to pass it off for something it isn't? Doesn't appeal to me. On the other hand I'm a big fan of DRIVING cars.. so to enjoy the car the most and make it more driver friendly (especially 37+ years later) there will be some modifications that have to be made. Plus I'm an enthusiast so that always makes the itch worse ;). If it were an original 67.5 2000 I'd strongly consider restoring it and maintaining it stock... or trading/selling it off to someone who would do such and get a 1600 for myself.