Which to do? paint or efi

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

steve68

Which to do? paint or efi

Post by steve68 »

I added everything up and i can do an EFI system for less than $600. that includes preassembled and tested ecu, wiring harness, sensors, injectors, individual throttle bodies with injectors already mounted with tps, (it takes the throttle cable in the same place! and is only around $120!!!!)

$299 for ecu w/harness
$90 for relay and power board
$30 for relay board cable
$130 or so on throttle bodies and injectors
$28 for new coolant and air temp sensors with water proof connecotors
crimped on harness

on problem there is no fuel maps for the 1600 or 2000 as no one has done it yet, but i have read that it is not hard to tune and i guess you could use a L engien to start with?

if you wanted to spend more you could even get it to control individual coil packs for timing changes for turbos apps.

thoughts?

steve
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Steve,

Since you have toyed with selling the car, I would say paint it. Paint will make the car an easier sell. EFI is neat, but most buyers want a car that has eye appeal when they are buying a sports car. Besides, it is still driving. That being the case, you can buy the odds and ends to do the EFI as time goes on and then assemble it later. In just a few months, you can end up with a painted fuel infected roadster without the big financial bite up front!
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
steve68

Post by steve68 »

it is a megasquirt system. I was still thinking about it, but i could spend less and have efi on the original motor, plus having individual throttle bodies look really cool.

im pretty set on keeping it right now.

steve
Plasmaboy

Injection

Post by Plasmaboy »

wow , your injection sounds so cheap . Im spending about $3500 AU on a setup for my U20 .. and thats doing all the work myself .. just the new bosch 550cc injectors are $200 AU each new here !
70MTroadster

EFI

Post by 70MTroadster »

OK, Steve68,

I'm calling your bluff. I would LOVE to put EFI on my 2L Stroker. After reading your original post regarding all the stuff needed to do the install for $600 I did a Yahoo search, went to the Megasquirt webpage and so on and cannot validate what you have said. No worries, I am a bonehead. So would you kindly detail whose injectors, individual throttle bodies, etc., etc. you used to work up your cost estimate?

Thanks a TON if it is true....I will beat a path to their door.....

Scotty
TR

Post by TR »

There's articles in the dime about how to convert an L series to EFI using the late 210 or 510 injection, that should work for a U20 and be very cost effective...TR
steve68

Post by steve68 »

i have read the dime articles , but don't believe there performance wise.

throttle bodies look http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=947796

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... ename=WDVW

they include the injectors.

http://www.a-e-a.com./new_page_2.htm is one place that you can get everything. They place that i was looking at last night was a little cheaper but i can't find it.

usually you can buy a kit for $170 and assembled for $240 just for the ecu. Then $90 for the relay board (don't need, but recomended) $40 for the harness.

the kit i showed is not bad if you just want to put it on. you can use any throttle body you want, i just like the look of the individual look.

steve

of course you will still need to get a fuel pump, and if you have an early roadster you will have to add a return fuel line.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Plasmaboy

motorcycle throttle bodies

Post by Plasmaboy »

I think using CBR900 throttle bodies would be a bad idea .. also Im sure the injectors would be WAYYY too small .. Im using 4 x 550cc injectors on my blown U20
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Pretty cool Steve! I have seen some late model cars running on 4 motorcycle carbs and that guy is obviously doing it with his Honda, so there should be no reason that it won't work on a Roadster. The R does not flow as much volume as the U motors, so that is in your favor. The price looks a little more than what you had posted, but not excessively more. If your carbs are shot, then go for it!

On the paint, check around. As I recall, your car only really needs a fender and hood painted. You may be able to get a painter do that on the side for materials and a case of beer...
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
steve68

Post by steve68 »

well you your blown u20 is .4 liters bigger plus the blower, thats why you need that big of injectors. i can always go to the yard and get some out of anything.

i want to change the color, but not to drastic to if i ever had to sell it, it would still sell. any ideas? i was thinking a burnt orange, tangerine color.

i have a program that tells me what injectors to use, those bikes make more power than the r16 does anyways.

steve
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

The burnt orange is really nice, saw it on a Spitfire, drove 250 miles and almost bought it, mostly because the color was SO cool. Mechanically not a great car, but the tilt nose is really nice. That would be the wildest thing on a Roadster, the tilt nose looks great and the engine /suspension access is super convenient. Can grease the front end standing up, sit on a tire and work on the engine. If someone was doing a fiberglass or kevlar fender and hood, might as well keep going and make it a tilt.

And of course it looks nice.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
steve68

Post by steve68 »

i went and bought alittle paint the other day. like a charcoal. ill paint a fender and post it on here

steve