Glasspack question

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

mgslayer
Roadster Fanatic

Glasspack question

Post by mgslayer »

Greetings all. Quick exhaust question. I'm running 2" pipe, with a flex pipe adapter off of the header, to a glasspack and then out a Monza twin tip. Hoping for a health growl that scares the BeJeezus out of the rice burners. :twisted: I just got the glasspack for my beast, and when you look into it it has a bunch of raised areas inside. When you look at it from one end it would look like the exhaust would just go over the raised areas, and from the other side if looks like the exhaust would would be directed into the fiberglass. Does it make a difference which way it goes on? :roll: No directional arrow on it that I can see. I would think that the exhaust should be directed towards the fiberglass to help muffle the exhaust noise, but it wouldn't be the 1st time I was wrong. :oops: Figured I'd better ask before I clamp it on.

Thanks

Mark
Mark
Taneytown MD
1968 SRL311
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

It does matter, I cant remember which way is the correct way. I'd think it would be so that the raised areas face rearward, that way you don't burn out the insulation inside.

Just my $.02
Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Don't weld it in. Just clamp it. That way, you can try it each way and see how the sound and power are affected. Or you could contact the manufacturer and ask...
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
toolsnob

glass pack

Post by toolsnob »

just ask a local muffler shop.
mgslayer
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mgslayer »

Well this is what I found out...Called one of the larger chains and asked them, their response was "You didn't buy it from us, sorry can't help you out kid" At 1st I was pretty pissed off at his attitude and, but then I thought about it and laughed. I'm 37 and someone called me "Kid" that was probably younger than me! :shock: Next I called a little Mom & Pop Shop in town and was told it could go either way BUT if I put it in where the exhaust went over the the raised areas, it wouldn't be as quiet, less back pressure, and would last longer. This sounds like more of what I'm after. Putting it on so that the exhaust goes into the the raised area and right into the fiberglass will quiet it more, create some back pressure (though probably not noticable) and would definately burn out quicker. He recommended the way Will said, going over the raised areas. So I'll follow Sid's advice and try it that way, if I don't like it I can always unbolt it and turn it around. I also have an e-mail into the manufacturer, but I doubt I'll get anything back until next week. If anyone is interested it is a 12" glasspack with 3" inlet/outlet tips. I got it from JC Whitney, the part # is WF222826P.

Thanks for the input and have a great weekend / Father's Day
Mark
Mark
Taneytown MD
1968 SRL311
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

Mom and Pop shop is 100% right.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster