spilling gas out of carb #1

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

67 1/2 1600

spilling gas out of carb #1

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

Ok so I had a small issue yesterday with the car kept starting up at about 450 500 rpms and i always had to give it gas to keep the car on while idling! So I took it around the block and I pulled back into my garage and i smell gas..... i looked under and a bunch of gas was spilling all over the place constantly out of the first carb(closest to the front of the car). I took the air filter cover off and i began to adjust it from the bottom. I closed it all the way up and still began to still, I pressed the little button that should make it inaccecible and still spilling. I am stumped it runs while spilling but rough runs good for about 2 seconds and begins to run rough again. It didnt do this before, so i am stumped on why it would be spilling. Any ideas? I really want to get it running right again, well running at least!

Joaquin
Datrock
Roadsteraholic

Post by Datrock »

Joaquin, It sounds like you have some crud in the float seat. I would take the float cover off and check for any small particles in the seat. also check your bango bolts to see if you have screen filters installed, if not you may need to get a couple of them, they might help keep it from happening again... Bill
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

Bill, and Sid you guys are right. There was sand like particles on there, I drained the bowl and cleaned it up, I checked the other bowl and same thing. It fired up and I waited for about 7 min.. no leaking at all! Now the issue is that when I run it at high rpms it kinda cuts off. I think I need to adjust it from the bottom as well to let more fuel go in, because I did tinker with that. I also checked the fuel filter and there are small particles of stuff in there as well that did not make it into the bowls(good thing), im guessing the sand was rusty stuff from the gas tank! Im gonna drop the tank and clean it up again! Looks like there might have been rusty particles on top of the tank that are probably coming off when i fill the tank all the way up.
Thanks for the fast responce.

Joaquin
ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ppeters914 »

Sounds like you might want to drop the tank and have it boiled-out at a radiator shop. That's what I'm doing once I'm running.

Of course, I had just filled the tank the day before it stopped running....... :x
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Your tank may not be the culprit. Some fuel systems (the gas stations) get crud in them and it gets pumped into your tank. I solved the problem years ago for about $2. I got two of the clear universal fuel filters sold for Bugs and put them in line right in front of the carbs. Once I did that, no more problems.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

Well it did the same thing again. I checked the bowl, clean. I heard a wierd noise like a "tack tack tack" coming from the fuel pump, put my finger on it and I could feel something tapping on there... any ideas?? Im in no mood to mess with the thing so its gonna sit for a while as its punishment for leaving me thrown out in the street.

Joaquin
ppeters914
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ppeters914 »

Umm, YOU'RE not driving the roadster. Who is punishing who? :?
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
Datrock
Roadsteraholic

Post by Datrock »

Joaquin, Even if the float bowls look clean there could be a small particle lodged in the float seat. I'm with Sid on the filter setup. I have one before the pump then a small one inline before the carbs and also the screens in the banjo bolts for each carb.

If your working on the car and it starts to dump fuel out the over flows try tapping on the bowl with a screwdriver handle it might dislodge the material in the float bowl (temporary fix).

Fuel dumping useually happens from a bad float, material in float seat, or a broken fuel line on the bottom of carb.

Are you using an electrical pump or manual one?

Let us know whats happening with it and we'll help get you back on the road in no time! :D Bill
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

I would go with Sid's clear filter. The Spectre or Purolator has replacable screens, and the crud builds up on the outside of the screen, so you can see it through the glass body. About $10.00 around here. The $2.00 plastic are just as good. The High rpm cutting out may indicate that the present fuel filter is clogging.

As far as the fuel tank, you can get a pretty good look inside from the filler neck. I stuck a wood dowel in and took a "scrape" across the bottom, came up with a load of muck.

Most of the local radiator shops around here either don't clean gas tanks anymore or wouldn't touch it because of the age. After cleaning all the crap out, and letting it dry totally I filled it with coarse aquarium gravel and shook the hell out of it then dumped the gravel and rust and rinsed till no more rust came out. Suprisingly, all the gravel came out no problem.Image

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

Ok well you guys can call me the biggest fool. It was a sunken float, I guess the problem was fixed for a while when I drained all the gas from the bowl and started it back up. It did float however, i put it in glass of water to so see if its flotation was enough to close the valve and then the think began so sink slowly! I took it out of the water and it had water inside! Luckily I had spare carbs and I pulled a float out of there, installed it, took it for a spin, and no problems. I turned it off and turned it on 1 hour later, left it on for 15 minutes and no spilling. The float was sunk but still floated a bit and that was the problem! Now to fix my timing issues! Thanks for all the help! I have a few new universal fuel filters that I will install soon.

Joaquin
Datrock
Roadsteraholic

Post by Datrock »

Joaquin, Glad to here you figured it out :D . Sounds like you have a happy roadster now.... Bill