Dancing Speedometer

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Redtail

Dancing Speedometer

Post by Redtail »

The needle on my spedometer is really bouncy at anything except freeway speeds (when it reads about 25% optimistic). sometimes it even rapidly bounces back and fourth from 0 to 120 when I am going around 20 mph. It's pretty annoying and renders the speedo useless, not that I really need it, but it looks a little funny.

Anyone had this problem before? could it be the drive gear in the transmission or is the gauge itself the problem? thanks!
impinhigh
Certified Roadster Nut

Post by impinhigh »

well, I'm no help.. but I do have a similar problem with my tach (on my 68 spl) when the car is at idle. It's bounces up and down roughly 300 rpm. Is it a problem in the cable?

Matt
Linusrp
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Speedo Bouncing

Post by Linusrp »

I had a similar problem with my speedo, it also made a rubbing or grinding noise when it was doing this. Finally broke the gauge. I would strongly suggest you check your speedo cable and the coupling where it attaches to the transmission. It could be it is loose where it attaches to the gauge, or it could be broken within the speedo wire from the gauge to the transmission. Finally,it could be loose where it attaches to the 90 degree transmission mount. I found my cable was bad so I had to replace it, along with a new gauge. Gauge started spinning and just broke. Check you cable thoroughly and learn from my error.
1967 1600 restored
1968 1600 Gone & Buried
1970 1600 Gone & Buried
Redtail

Post by Redtail »

Thanks for the advice. Actually I replaced the speedo cable swivel about a week ago - the speed cable was not hooked up before this. I checked all the connections at that time and they seemed tight, but I'll go back through and recheck everything when I get a chance. I regreased the cable with lithium grease when I had it out, and It appeared to be operating properly.
If it was a cable problem with your speedometer perhaps I should go all the way and just get a new cable...
Linusrp
Roadster Fanatic
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Speedo Bouncing

Post by Linusrp »

If there is any internal area of the speedo cable that catches or binds it will jerk like you described. I had the smallest kink in my cable that I never noticed until I finally pulled it out and looked at it closely. I replaced the cable with a new one. Had to buy a new gauge so I am not positive that was the initial problem., but I am sure the cable was bad in mine. If you just replaced the swival you might re-check to make sure the cable isn't binding somewhere close to the connection. Good luck.
1967 1600 restored
1968 1600 Gone & Buried
1970 1600 Gone & Buried
toolsnob

cable

Post by toolsnob »

The bouncing is usually associated with cables. There can be a bind, like the inside of the cable housing coming apart. If you don't want to replace it right away you can pull the cable and clean it then relube with grafite. If the problem persists you should replace it entirely.

Alexi
itsa68
Roadsteraholic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by itsa68 »

I had the same problem with both instuments.
The cables were in need of cleaning/re-lube and the cable routing wasn't optimum. I solvent cleaned the inside of the sheathing , graphite lubed the cable and smoothed out the paths. I also had to clean and re-lube the 90 degree speedo adapter and get it pointing in a better direction.
The cable whip and needle occillation ceased.

Ray B.
Redtail

Post by Redtail »

Bringing this one back from the dead, but i closed the issue so i thought I sould post the solution. My problem was with the plastic drive gear inside the transmission - several of the teeth were worn off. I have no idea how this happened, but a new part solved the problem. mostly. it still reads high, but i believe that is a problem with the gauge. the trip meter and odometer do not work, so the entire gauge is probably ready for an overhaul.
TR

Post by TR »

After going through a few speedo's, I have seen some of the same symptoms:

Bouncing, bouncing with noise, speedo without odometer, odometer without speedo...

I had checked out the cable and movement and it seemed fine. Went through a few of the gauges above and rechecked the cable...Finally found a speedo that worked flawlessly (to this day). The funny thing, every speedo I tried had between 60 and 70K miles on it. So, I don't think it was the mileage killed them, but the type of mileage. The gauge that works has the best bezel (rustwise) and least sun fading...

Like a few before have said, a bouncing gauge is typically a tweaked or worn cable. In some instances, it might be the gauge, though...