Engine cleaning and products

Place to put those little tricks or parts you used during the restoration of your roadster.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

itsa68
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Engine cleaning and products

Post by itsa68 »

Sorry for the lack of details but the products listed are worth noting.
Conner wrote:Ray--
I'm planning to detail my engine before re-installing it. Could you (maybe in a new post) describe the steps and products you used to clean-up and detail your engine and transmission? It looks really nice.
My initial cleaning consisted of using a Shark Steam Cleaner followed by use of mineral spirits and parts brush (parts done above/in a 4ft plastic kiddie pool).
After that I usually detergent pressure washed the parts to remove any residue.

The alum parts were given a very diluted acid etch & immediate rinse to brighten.

USE PROPER SAFETY WEAR !!!
Any alum that required polishing (valve cover /carb domes), Never Dull wadding was used.
The timing cover , being the most difficult to clean/brighten, was Goodson Aluminum Last Blasted.

Brass parts were given an acid etch to a bright finish.

Cad plated parts were given a clear coat of high temp engine enamel (with ceramic).
Block and oil pan done in high temp engine enamel (with ceramic).

Goodson Aluminum Last Blast and other engine products can be found at
http://www.goodson.com/

Eagle One Mag etching cleaner (for rough wheels) and Never Dull can be found at
http://www.eagleone.com/

Elbow grease can be found between the keyboard and the shoulders. :lol:

(p.s.) I was almost tempted to spray all the alum with Goodsons because it was such a deceiving finish product.

Ray B.
Conner
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000

Post by Conner »

Excellent tips, thanks!
Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633
iamangelfriend
Roadster Newby
Model: 1500/1600

Re: Engine cleaning and products

Post by iamangelfriend »

If you're starting with a greasy engine or engine bay... an old mechanic told me once to use a small amount of powered TIDE detergent mixed with Pine SOL. The Tide is a great degreaser and the Pine SOL makes it cling. Spray it on, let sit for a bit (a warm engine is even better), hose it off and let dry. You may see a white residue that is only the soap... hose it off and let dry. I tried this on a 1967 Volvo years ago and WOW... it really was SO easy and left everything very clean!

Any light rust can be dealt with using Rust Mort, OsPho, or similar products (phosphoric acid). The acid turns the iron oxide to iron phosphate that will not rust. It can be painted over easily. This product IS A MILD ACID so pay attention. It's NOT strong like nitric or sulfuric but a bit weaker than muriatic (used in swimming pools).

Deep rust should be sanded, ground, scraped away first for a better result. This stuff will seek out rust under paint as well!
Garm
Roadster Enthusiast

Re: Engine cleaning and products

Post by Garm »

The best engine cleaner is.... Kevin.
1969 Roadster 1600-ish #26244 "Spike"
---------------------------------
OS GIKEN LSD $1720
AASCO light flywheels $398.95