Garage Door Busted A Spring

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

SER240Z
Roadster Fanatic

Garage Door Busted A Spring

Post by SER240Z »

Sorry guys but I ned to vent. Yesterday as my brother opened the garage door, a spring broke loose and hit the roadster. Nothing major, but it got a preety good ding just behind the passenger door. Of all the time for this to happen, it's the week of Solvang. Well, at least now I'll stand out at the show, just look for the white '69 SRL with the dent. I guess it's a good thing that I needed some body work anyway. I just wish it was on the same fender that was already messed up.

Thanks
Scott
sgriffin
Roadster Fanatic

broken spring

Post by sgriffin »

Unless this is all a ruse to get the body work done that you spoke about (I hope) it is probably time to build another and separate housing unit for the roadster.
Sam E. Griffin
datsun65
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by datsun65 »

Bummer. 14 years ago, I stored a roadster in my Parent's garage in Huntington Beach, CA.

I realized that the original vintage 1968 garage door springs didn't have the "safety" internal spring holder-together-thingy so I swaped them out for a new pair. Didn't want my precious roadster damaged....

Murphy's Law.....three weeks later my brother accidently dropped a full 1 gallon paint container on the rear fender. Oh well...
Dan
Houston, TX
impinhigh
Certified Roadster Nut

Post by impinhigh »

I feel the pain.. In my normal "back assward style" I did all the exterior cosmetics first followed directly by the engine pull. Not 15 minutes into the pull job the hood, which I had placed in a sling hanging from the ceiling, dropped with a crash. Fortunately, this must have exercise all the other demon as that was the last time I royally screw up parts while fixing others. Just another 300.00 in bodywork and paint. Did get the typical hood-scoop cracking ground and brazed, so that’s nice.
Matt Jacquet
Gilroy, Ca
68 Spl311 Stock-Silver
68 Spl311 Stock-White-Gone to a good home...
:(
67 1/2 1600

Post by 67 1/2 1600 »

That sucks! I left my roadster in the street once, next day it had a big scrape on the rear left fender. Not one of our cars, and there was a party that night. I guess some drunk guy hit it. as for me, look for the 67.5 with a broken winshield, lots of scratches and that blue scrape on the r/l fender :) .

Joaquin
itsa68
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by itsa68 »

Here some good ones.
A while back during pulling the engine, the bottle jack of the cherry picker toppled off its mount and dropped the motor on the rad braces and front apron.
Thank god my fenders were spared!
Cherry picker is now gone for scrap iron and I now use a overhead chain hoist for pulling engines.

Just shortly after getting my engine back from the re-builder, I went over to get my hood which was leaning against the garage wall in "safe place".
I noticed that something was different about it and noticed that the front edge was gashed and the top gouged.
About the same time I noticed that the pair of womens ice skates were no longer in their normal hanging place on the wall.
I found them hiding in the houses back door shoe rack.
The spring yard sale took care of those skates and the wife is still looking for them.

Ray B.
SER240Z
Roadster Fanatic

Post by SER240Z »

Thanks to everyone for your responses. It's nice to find people that feel my pain. I don't think that my family understands what it's like.

Scott
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

With My first roadster, back in 1985, I had a tree branch about 8 inch diameter 20 ft long drop into the driveway from 40 or 50 ft up. It fell between two rows of cars, didn't damage any other cars except my left front fender was smashed on top.
The week before I turned down a set of front fenders at the local Datsun dealer for $120.00 each. Went back to order them, turns out there was 1 right fender left in California somewhere, but the left I didn't order the week before was the last one, part was discontinued.

By the way, If anyone has seen a 69 1600 with a smashed left fender, Fiat X1/9 grille, and a 3/8" stud on the intake manifold (#3 cylinder I think, broke the easyout had to drill it), let me know.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit