appliance wheels

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

glennhuff
Roadster Fanatic

appliance wheels

Post by glennhuff »

I recently purchased a set of Appliance turbine style wheels on e-bay. Got them home and got new tires mounted only to find that they won't work. The bolt pattern is right, but the holes for the lug nuts are way too big. They measure about 7/8". It looks like they need some kind of bushing to fit standard mag lug nuts. The local tire shop has no idea. Anyone ever used wheels like this? Any idea where I can get the proper nuts/ spacers/ bushings ? Can't wait to get it back on the ground and the engine back in.

Glenn
TR

Post by TR »

I'm sure others know better than I, but I think Nissan makes large diameter nuts but only for the 12mm studs. So I think you have to swap out all of the studs and use the special Nissan lugs, or make bushings or someone may have custom lug nuts...Anyone have any conclusive info on this? TR
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Lugs

Post by S Allen »

I could be way off base here but they make lugs that are either short shank or long shank and should fit into the 7/8" bolt holes. The 7/16 lug would have a shank that should be real close to 7/8 of an inch. Here is a picture of one.
Image They come with washers as well. These are a very common item at auto parts stores. I have run the turbines and western rims before. The minlites took a special lug but I ended up replacing the wheel studs with 12MM and using lugs from a Nissan Maxima.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
JoeK
Roadster Fanatic

Post by JoeK »

Try these guys, http://www.stocktonwheel.com/lugs.htm They may also have what your looking for at Summit

Good luck
Joe
Former owner of:
'68 2L
BLK SRL
sold 12-11-2012
nomadtrash
Roadster Fanatic

Post by nomadtrash »

Wheels made for 12mm lugs use a larger nut. There are lugnuts that use the 7/16 x 20 thread pattern but have the larger 12mm shoulder. Check the team.net archives or this forum for people that use the 280Z six spoke mags. They have done the lun nut swap that you need.
Andy Cost
Roadster-less

Bolt on modification? I did use some bolts!
jbush
Roadster Nut

Post by jbush »

I bought the correct lug nuts for the 198x 280z six spoke wheels from wheelcomponents.com. The item # is 5302. I don't know if these will fit your application or not. The website has dimensions on the lug nuts. Check my posts for a thread with more info.
glennhuff
Roadster Fanatic

Post by glennhuff »

I finally found the right lug nuts on Ebay. Just for future information, they are called Roto Lugs, and they were made specifically for Appliance wheels. They are available with offset or centered washers. Thanks for all the input.

Glenn