Caught in the Act

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Wrenchands

Caught in the Act

Post by Wrenchands »

My neightbor caught me washing my "Roadster" the other day. He thinks I am crazy.

To Date:
-Frame completely disassembled, sandblasted, and painted in my garage.
-Front suspension/steering reassembled with urethane bushings.
-Datsun Sports Custom Springs: Mike Young
-Gas Adjust Shocks all four corners
-Competition Rear Leaf Springs and bushings By Dean Apostle
-Anything lower then the frame has been coated with rubberized undercoating to protect from chipping.
-All new nuts and bolts courtesy of dynaguy

Now all it needs is a motor, transmission, driveshaft, the body to be completely redone, wiring, etc...

Thanks for all of the support, and I will post more pictures in the future.
Last edited by Wrenchands on Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:03 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Wrenchands

Picture

Post by Wrenchands »

Anyone know how to transfer a picture from your computer to a message posted here? I tried to cut and paste, and also tried to use alt/p after copying the picture. Any help would be appreciated, the story just isn't as funny without the picture.
Conner
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Conner »

You need to upload your picture to the web somewhere (if you have a webpage or the potential to have one, upload it that server using FTP or whatever method you use). Then you put the image tags around the web address of the picture and your post here will interpret that HTML and automatically reference the picture where it is on the web, thus showing it in your post.
Did that make any sense?

Sounds like you have made good progress on the frame; I may ask your advice when I get down deep into my suspension because I plan to do similar work (bushings, shocks, springs).
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Pics

Post by S Allen »

You have to have the picture on a web server or hosting service to post it using the image tags. So the image tag looks like this "Image" You can upload them into the Album Gallery but they have to meet certain requirements in size. You can send them to me and I will whittle them down and upload them for you.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
alfred183

Post by alfred183 »

email it to me and I can host it in my band's website

alfred183@hotmail.com :wink:
Wrenchands

Thanks

Post by Wrenchands »

Thanks guys for the tutorial on posting pictures to the site, and thank you Alfred for hosting my pictures.

Hope you all get a laugh out of me washing my "roadster"
alfred183

Post by alfred183 »

It's a very pretty roadster :D
Conner
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Conner »

Frame looks awesome; I am envious.
I noticed in the background you've got the body suspended up high. I was thinking of the same kind of concept. I have a two-car garage but I like to be able to park my daily-driver in there so I'd rather not use both stalls for frame and body. I was thinking of something on wheels so I could move the body into the other stall (and park my daily driver outside) on the weekends only, but then wheel it back and suspend it above the frame during the week. Sounds kind of crazy now that I put it down in print.
What kind of set-up do you have for the body?
Wrenchands

Lifting the body

Post by Wrenchands »

If you look under the general discussion for Wed. Febuary 9, 2005 you will find a discussion of the setup TR and myself have for supporting the body above the frame. Hope this helps.

John...
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
spriso
Vendor

Post by spriso »

When I pull a body off of the frame, we put them onto a simple body cart like this one. The painters like it as the body sits at a nice height, and they don't have to worry about the frame.

It also works good for moving the body in and out of the garage...

Michael
Spriso Motorsports
http://www.spriso.com
Instagram https://instagram.com/spriso/
SR20 Powered Roadsters
Engine swap kits Available! See my website!
TR

Post by TR »

Hey Wrenchands,

I like the guilty smile, make sure those tires are clean!

I think you'll be really happy with the suspension you have chosen. When I added the rear springs to my car, the handling improved from good but unpredictable to very predictable and solid.

Conner - You could combine the ideas for the body cart (movable and tall enough to clear the frame), but definitely make it out of steel and cross brace the wheels. Get good wheels, large enough to roll over the largest defect (seam in concrete, lip going into the garage) with ease. Also, I would make it just clear the frame, you don't want the body really high and rolling...You wouldn't be able to work on the frame without moving the body, but that isn't much fun anyways (don't ask)...TR
ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ppeters914 »

You sandblasted and painted the frame inside your garage? Really??? :shock:

I really hate it when you people post pics like that. Makes me want to do a frame-off, too! Seriously, that is mighty pretty. Keep us posted.
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
Wrenchands

Paint booth

Post by Wrenchands »

Sandblasting and painting can be done in your garage if you want to take the time to set things up, and if your girlfriend isn't moving to Minnesota for a couple more months :wink:

I installed a large ventilation fan on one side of my roof that is capable of exchanging the volume of air once every minute. I then enclosed that side of the garage with plastic to minimize the amount of dust and/or paint that will go anywhere but out the ventilation hole in the roof. Of course, you still need to wear a respirator to save the lungs, but being able to do the work by yourself gives you a sense of satisfaction and saves money if you are going to do the entire car from the ground up.

Just remember to clean up all your dust before you decide to paint, or it will look like it was done in your garage.