SR20 VVT Mods.

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Andy Ross

SR20 VVT Mods.

Post by Andy Ross »

Just wondering if anyone has any info. regarding fitting an SR20vvt engine into the Roadster.
I already have the following:
Modification to the front crossmember for sump clearance.
Relocation of exhaust sensor.
Modification to front LH chassis lip for clearance.

My concern is chassis modification to except SR20 G/box. I havnt heard much regarding alterations for this or anything else not mentioned.
Regards Andy :?:
toolsnob

Sr Swap

Post by toolsnob »

The Sr14/13 is pretty much the same for fitment. The real difference is induction and upper radiator hose. All you need to do is pocket the xmember to accept your new tranny mount.
Andy Ross

Post by Andy Ross »

Any other mods. I havnt mentioned?
steve68

Post by steve68 »

wow that would be an awsome swap..thats the s15 engine correct? and they come with a 6 speed, is that bigger? you might have another problem with the tranny.

steve
toolsnob

Sr20 Vtt

Post by toolsnob »

Actually the Sr came in the 14 /15 with the VTT, if I am not mistaken the S14 and S15 NA motors were the same with different transmissions, although I may be wrong, have to ask Michael Spreadbury. I know that the S15 came in an autech (or something like that ) that put out 200hp over the 160 stock.
Andy Ross

Post by Andy Ross »

The SR20 I am currently working out how to fit is the S14/VVT model.
toolsnob

S14

Post by toolsnob »

Andy,

That is the same motor I mounted in a 66 that I sold. Sr or KA it is the same process for making mounts and fitting. Line the shifter in the 4 speed tanny hole, raise the tranny about an inch above the xmember, level out the oil pan which will make the motor can't about 5 degrees or so. Center the engine side to side, make sure you have about 1/4 inch clearance from the bottom of the oil filter and you pretty much have it set, just need to make your mounts.

I find it easier to take some mount isolators and build off a set of used ones, that way I can weld off them and don't have to worry about if they get a little burned.

Alexi
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:SR20

Post by S Allen »

Andy,

Here is some more info I have obtained from Michael Spriso and Alexi for fitting an SR20 into my project. I do not have it published on the main website yet as it is a work in progress. If you have anything to add down the line just let me know. You can view it here at http://www.311s.org/tech/engine/sr20de.html

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth