ACOTE's 68 2000

Here can put pictures and write-ups about your roadster or other vehicles.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

ACote
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: ACOTE's 68 2000

Post by ACote »

Here we go with some more little fixes. First off I love the knob that Garm Supplied. Shifts so much easier now with the shorter shifter, looks better too. Just want to add a leather boot for a cleaner look.
Also got the anti rattle door glass weather strips from Dean. Got the left side out and glued in place and cleaned up the side wing window while it was out. Was almost a satin paint stuck to just the interior side. Scrubbed off after some effort. Also half of the door glass was painted red! Good way to tell the quality of the PO masking/ paint job.
And realized I never posted the pic of the fuel line routing so here you go! I had it going straight from the hard line to the filter but was told to switch to be more "correct" so I turned the filter around and looped it. I have a better looking filter I'm saving for Solvang. Because I can.
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

ACote wrote: After:
]
Looks great. Don't forget the little bracket from the exhaust manifold to the engine mount bracket, so that nice manifold lasts longer.
On the Meg, you can cut it off, mask the whole outside except for about 1/8" back from the cut on and spray the inside and the little 1/8" bit on the outside black. Should protect the cut and not be visible. But aren't Megs stainless?

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
pebbles
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by pebbles »

ACote wrote:Here we go with some more little fixes.

I know guys that build engines and wont go inside a door.

Thats taking the bull by the horns Alex!! 8)
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
ACote
Roadsteraholic

Post by ACote »

dbrick wrote: Looks great. Don't forget the little bracket from the exhaust manifold to the engine mount bracket, so that nice manifold lasts longer.
On the Meg, you can cut it off, mask the whole outside except for about 1/8" back from the cut on and spray the inside and the little 1/8" bit on the outside black. Should protect the cut and not be visible. But aren't Megs stainless?
Sounds good for the paint. I got megs chrome megaphone exhaust tip. They were all out of the straight cut but since I'm cutting it I got the angle cut. I'll take pics. I was worried about cutting the chrome but I researched it and as long as I tape over when I'm cutting it will stay intact, people do it to their chrome pipes on motorcycles a lot.
pebbles wrote:I know guys that build engines and wont go inside a door.

Thats taking the bull by the horns Alex!!
Hopefully it goes together as easy as it came apart. I have little arms and hands so I always get stuck working in the tight places.
Garm
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by Garm »

congrats on the updates, looking great! -- glad you like the shift knob, too.

windows, yikes, I guess I have to do that.... scary!
1969 Roadster 1600-ish #26244 "Spike"
---------------------------------
OS GIKEN LSD $1720
AASCO light flywheels $398.95
ACote
Roadsteraholic

Post by ACote »

Left side door went together easily. only a few screws holding the window and channels on. So far my favorite thing I've done, no more rattle and big crashing noise when I close the door. I got the exhaust tip from megs and cut it today. Drilled a hole in the ruler at the measurement I needed. went with 9".
Made a perfect line all the way around by holding the ruler and rotating the tip.
I was able to cut it carefully with my dremel. I couldn't find anyone who had a circular saw that I could borrow. Then ground it smooth/level. Left the tape on from the cut, and used silver bbq paint from ace hardware on the edge and inside. It's good up to 1000*f
Comparison pics. doesn't look much bigger it's about a 2"-3" diameter. And doesn't look as chewed up. I'm going to run the exhaust back to the stock location once I get around to the manifold install.
Garm
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by Garm »

I think I missed that you have a side exit.... cool! (and loud).

Can you smell it at all from in the car?
OS GIKEN LSD $1720
ACote
Roadsteraholic

Post by ACote »

Yep side exhaust poking out there. Sounds pretty loud in the car and bounces off cars as I fly by. Then when I stop at a light I smell my exhaust. Didn't notice the smell until my friend pointed it out. Now I smell it everytime. Hence why I'm moving it back to stock. Also make a pinging noise when rocks and sand hits it while driving. Hopefully it doesn't sound too different. Because I like the growl.
Garm
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by Garm »

Unless you change the muffler or other "quieting" part, it should sound pretty much the same, just more behind you.

Mine is really loud and it comes out the back.
OS GIKEN LSD $1720
ACote
Roadsteraholic

Post by ACote »

Been quite awhile, Just got 2 new tires since I didn't know I had neg camber on the fronts and didn't rotate them soon enough. Found out why my E-brake doesn't work, It's not connected on the right side and the left side the brake cylinder and the oil seal is leaking! So got my rear axle seal and bearing kit and new brake cylinders. Will be going to swap the 3.9 rear end at the same time, but need to get my bearing pressed on and off. also have the stainless brake lin kit on order. Once those arrive I'll be putting new front pads I've had since purchase. Currently one front brake squeels horibbly from time to time. The brake is dragging.
Pics to come

Going to be putting off paint while I figure out my plans for the car. Ever since joking about buying a nicer body and swapping it I've been debating a low windsield and flat dash swap. Has anyone done this? I heard 67.5 is an easier swap. Does the front fenders fit on earlier models and are the rear flare the same 66-70?
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Rear flares got wider in 67.5 up.
Flat dash is "standard" up to 67.5 so if you get a low windshield model, no swap required.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Garm
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by Garm »

Nice to see an update. Keep 'em coming! :)
OS GIKEN LSD $1720
Dave_Pa
Site Supporter

Post by Dave_Pa »

save on your tow bill. Hagerty (if they are your insurance) has a package that is like ~$80/year and covers up to a 250 mile tow of ANY car you own or are driving. This has saved my butt more than i care to admit to.
Keep up the great work. those appliance wheels looks AWESOME on there. They are my choice for when i get my roadster too.

Dave
--Dave
67.5 1600 originally Sora Blue, now Yellow...
1972 BMW 2002 Colorado. (the color, not the state)
1999 BMW 318ti (daily driver for most of the year)
1989 BMW 325ix (the best winter sled and the first BMW I ever drove).
2004 BMW X5...happy wife...
ACote
Roadsteraholic

Post by ACote »

Dave_Pa wrote:save on your tow bill. Hagerty (if they are your insurance) has a package that is like ~$80/year and covers up to a 250 mile tow of ANY car you own or are driving. This has saved my butt more than i care to admit to.
Keep up the great work. those appliance wheels looks AWESOME on there. They are my choice for when i get my roadster too.

Dave
Don't know why it took me so long to get tow coverage. I have it now.
I used to not like the wheels... until I saw this. Would love to get them polished.
Garm
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by Garm »

oh wow, are those foglights in the license plate spot? brilliant!
OS GIKEN LSD $1720