miata seat

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

jbush
Roadster Nut

miata seat

Post by jbush »

I am taking apart my miata seats to clean and re-dye the upholstery. Where the seat back attaches to the seat, there is a single phillips-head screw on one side (the non-lever side). This screw is locked tight. I have soaked it in penetrating oil for days and tried an impact driver but I still can't loosen the screw. There is a plastic trim piece (as well as vinyl and cloth) underneath the screw so using heat is not an option. Has anyone else ran into this problem?
I am not opposed to drilling the phillips-head screw out and replacing it with a torx screw or some other type of positive-grip fastener, BUT is there anything (such as a sleeve) that I might damage by drilling out this phillips-head P.O.S.? Does anyone know the length, diameter, and threads of this? Thanks.
oilleak

Post by oilleak »

If you haven't already, check on www.miata.net
Tons of info there.
Marky510
Roadster Nut

Post by Marky510 »

Jeremiah,
I just pull my seat back off last, I measure the bolt and it is about 12mm deep. 2 things about the bolt though... the threaded portion of the bolt is not exactly round, it has 3 high spots running down the length. the cross sections looks a rounded triangle ( probably to help lock it in the hole). Also, the washer under the head is not a washer but actually part of the head, so surface are there for holding is quite a bit. Mine came out fairly easy. My suggestion would be to use a snap-on screwdriver (no I'm not a salesmen for snap-on). Snap-on screwdrivers have a hex head at the base of the handle to put a box end wrench on to help with leverage. They also bite better at the tips. I use to have craftsman only for screwdrivers and I would be stripping out phillips heads a couple times a week. As a mechanic that's too much. I finally stepped up to a set of snap-on screwdrivers and haven't stripped but one or two in the last 10 years. Anyways, I ramble, put the seat on its side and put all your weight on it while turning with the wrench. This method I've found works better than an impact driver in some cases.
Or... this just came to me, if you can't get a hold of some snap-on stuff, then maybe take your driver bit off and use a short extension with a long ratchet while leaning all your weight on it....

Anyways, a couple options. Let us know how it works out. Good luck.
1970 Stroked 1600
Still waiting for cylinder head.

1966 Ford Cortina MK1 Wagon

1968 Volvo 124 Wagon -- For Sale

1963 Datsun WPL312 Wagon
jbush
Roadster Nut

Post by jbush »

Wow. Thanks a lot. I am glad I read your post before drilling the screws out. I will try your suggestion and let you know how it works.
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

Get an impact driver, they are cheap and work. Probably under $20.00.
You hit it with a hammer and it rotates and pushes in at the same time.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=90881

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
jbush
Roadster Nut

Post by jbush »

Dave - I tried an impact driver with no luck.

Marky510 - I attached the driver bit to a 1/2" drive breaker bar, put all my weight on the driver end, and ... stripped the phillips head (just one so far).

I guess now it is time to find a Mazda dealer and order the bolts. I want to have them before I drill the old one(s) out. Thanks for your suggestions guys.
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

One thing I've had luck with in the past, If you can get to the other end of the bolt to turn it, just drill the head enough to get it to break off the bolt and turn the other end. Once the head is broken off, the tension is gone and it should turn through.

Any chance they are left hand threads?

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit