Current Scheduled Events Will Be Listed Here

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

San Marino Concours June 11, 2017

Post by mraitch »

There will again be a Japanese class at the above concours.

Application below
https://www.sanmarinomotorclassic.com/s ... pplication

Lacy park is a beautiful location and the concours covers a wide range of cars, from full blown CCCA classics through hot rods.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Re: San Marino Concours June 11, 2017 - only TWO days left for judging entries

Post by mraitch »

Bump - they are still looking for Japanese cars

https://www.sanmarinomotorclassic.com

Hope to see some there - looks like I may be a judge - bribes of a suitable amount will be happily accepted <G>

Entry is normally $35 per person as a visitor and you get TWO passes for $100 - good deal!!
Peter Harrison
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Re: San Marino Concours June 11, 2017

Post by bakerjf »

I'm glad to hear that you may be a judge! I went to this show for the last two years, and it was completely random who they assigned to our cars. The guys last year had zero knowledge/respect for our car's place in automotive history, or Japanese cars in general IMO - as evidenced by their selection of an '85 Toyota Celica convertible as a winner in a class that was supposed to be limited to pre '74 cars... But I'm not bitter. :wink: The craziest thing last year was that after the "judging," An Aussie judge (assigned to another group) came up to the Roadster and knew everything about them! I wrote an artfully worded email to Aaron Weiss (the head hancho) about the goat rope and never got a response, but it sounds as if they are trying to make things better.
This is really a nice show, and Rich S. fought hard for a Japanese class there. Other than the judging debacle last year it was a lot of fun.
Last edited by bakerjf on Mon May 08, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Re: San Marino Concours June 11, 2017

Post by mraitch »

Let's see how that works out.
I am first and foremost a CLASSIC (Bentley) guy, yet I love the mix of cars there from 1-4 $mill+ cars down to our more humble representatives of the automotive world.
There are automotive snobs who only value Hispano, Packard etc. as cars - and as classics, I have to agree with them as to the workmanship etc.
But that is not the whole world of automobiles, and I embrace that distinction.
One may 'love' something, but recognize something else as contributory and while Japan hasn't produced anything 'classic' - the nearest being the 2000 GT, it would be just a hoot to see a really early '36 or so Datsun wander onto the field.
Because that is one of the genesis of an amazing impact on the automotive world. Humble tin-shit from an organization that now produces the GT-R - a world car if ever there was.
I hope I get to participate, rather than just visit, and assuming I will be on the Japanese 'grid' I will do my best to be both rigorous and honest in my evaluation.

Bribery is still ok in my book.

Best,

Pete

SHame you are so far north now, 'cos your contribution to the show was always valued.
Peter Harrison