Best Rear Shocks-better than Koni

A spot for any one considering making or selling reproduction parts-please put parts for sale in the vendors ad section

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Best Rear Shocks-better than Koni

Post by JT68 »

image.jpg
Now available, custom built rear Bilsteins for 66-70 Roadsters. Completely rebuild-able and revalvable.

Even better than Koni's -I like Konis, ran them for years, but these are inherently a better design, (nitrogen pressurized, monotube) and are easily rebuildable and rechargeable. You can even do it at the track if you are that hardcore...

We dyno'd NOS Konis and mapped the compression and rebound damping curves. As many have know for a long, time Koni got the curves backwards, meaning that the rear curve is more suited to the front coil springs and the front curve is more suited to the rear leaf springs. Our work confirmed this knowing the spring rates for stock springs and flex-forms too.

So I have several sets of these on hand. Custom built, 395/ pair with urethane mounting bushings. Beautiful parts!

The sets I have now are calibrated to a Koni medium-rebound, stock compression setting. But like I said above, if you want 20% more compression, 10% less rebound or whatever, LMK and we'll build a special set as you like.

We even have a shorter setup for really low cars running de-arched or custom springs.

Awesome for street, no better option for track cars! Full road racing versions are no problem. Email for orders/questions etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Re: Best Rear Shocks-better than Koni

Post by bakerjf »

Nice!
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

RAD!
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Will you have fronts available?
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Great that there are more options now. Were not the newest Koni shocks done recently revalved to change the original characteristics that you noted?
All I can say is that they are working really well for me with the flex form rear leaf springs, but I'm not a racer. Far superior to what I've run before.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Gregs672000 wrote:Great that there are more options now. Were not the newest Koni shocks done recently revalved to change the original characteristics that you noted?
All I can say is that they are working really well for me with the flex form rear leaf springs, but I'm not a racer. Far superior to what I've run before.

I think so, not positive. No disrespect regarding the performance of Konis. They are very, very good shocks in general.

Here is why I went this route:

1. When I wanted to rebuild and revalve the used Konis I have, it was a nightmare. Koni wants as much money to rebuild them as for new shocks!
2. Koni won't sell you parts to rebuild them yourself and only will support authorized factory service centers of which there are few and costly.
3. Old style original Konis were not nitrogen charged so they do change as they heat up and cavitate. Not much of an issue for street cars but racers recognize it as "the chassis getting loose" 1/2 way through the race. That won't happen with charged monotubes.
4. Koni was not interested in discussing the actual damping curves, and just generally was difficult to deal with. Bilsteins are highly tuneable.
5. The Bistein is just a greatly updated design in every regard, (Koni's are about 1950 tech- a great product, but very dated)
6. Koni was completely uninterested in custom options unless you want to buy 100's. At the prices Koni charges, custom tuning options really isn't viable.

I had to find a better option for us, and these are the result!
LT/JT
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

spl310 wrote:Will you have fronts available?
You bet Sid, since we had the same problem up front.

I do have have limited availability on them now, but more are in process. Will put up a separate post on them since there are some unique advantages. Thanks for asking! J
LT/JT
Pjackb
Roadsteraholic

Post by Pjackb »

These look great Jim,
Having ran both Bilstein B8 sport shocks and Bilstein PSS9 coilovers on a lot of cars I can attest that Bilstein make an incredible product with awesome ride quality

I went from Koni to Bilstein on the M3 and that was the best upgrade on that car
Vinnyz
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Vinnyz »

JT68 wrote:
Gregs672000 wrote:Great that there are more options now. Were not the newest Koni shocks done recently revalved to change the original characteristics that you noted?

I think so, not positive. No disrespect regarding the performance of Konis. They are very, very good shocks in general.

Here is why I went this route:

1. When I wanted to rebuild and revalve the used Konis I have, it was a nightmare. Koni wants as much money to rebuild them as for new shocks!
2. Koni won't sell you parts to rebuild them yourself and only will support authorized factory service centers of which there are few and costly.
3. Old style original Konis were not nitrogen charged so they do change as they heat up and cavitate. Not much of an issue for street cars but racers recognize it as "the chassis getting loose" 1/2 way through the race. That won't happen with charged monotubes.
4. Koni was not interested in discussing the actual damping curves, and just generally was difficult to deal with. Bilsteins are highly tuneable.
5. The Bistein is just a greatly updated design in every regard, (Koni's are about 1950 tech- a great product, but very dated)
6. Koni was completely uninterested in custom options unless you want to buy 100's. At the prices Koni charges, custom tuning options really isn't viable.

I had to find a better option for us, and these are the result!
Nicely done JT! I too was disheartened when checking with rebuilds etc through KONI usa vendors. No longer a good value I felt....at least for a street car enthusiast. BIlstein worked reliably on my BMW E34 and E86 chassis.
I havent DRIVEN either of my SRL's yet but both have KONI's.....so if they are weak I'll go :arrow: this route for sure!! They are beauts too! :mrgreen:
73' Datsun 240-Z turbo
70' Datsun SRL-311-1374-SR20det 6 speed
69' Datsun SRL-311-12334-Solex 44 w/B cam
07' BMW Z4 coupe-Daily
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Alvin wrote:RAD!
These will be awesome for anyone pushing the chassis to max......SRs, built 2L's, any turbo car!
LT/JT
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

I literally called the Koni-authorized Rebuild Center in Sonoma, Ca. yesterday - they want $250/shock to revalve/seal a NOS shock. Pass.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Just not realistic, especially when you consider all the upsides of the Bilsteins..
LT/JT
zippy67roadster
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by zippy67roadster »

There was a group by on the new properly valved Koni's a little while back and I thought they were $600 for the 4 so $250 each to rebuild is crazy!!
1967 Datsun SPL311-08935-vintage race car
1967 Datsun SPL311-10123 project
1967 Datsun 411 wagon
67.5 SPL311 Vintage Race car project
64 NL320 Pickup Truck
Brian
http://www.sincitydatsuns.com
https://www.facebook.com/sincitydatsuns
Chucks66
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Chucks66 »

I think I PM you also tried email. Not sure if they sent?
Chuck Grohs
1967.5 SRL 311 #00148 Unholy Grail
1967 Nissan Patrol #L60 10218 Old Man
2014 Ford F250 Platinum 4 door 4x4
2009 Tahoe
GoldHawg
Roadsteraholic

Post by GoldHawg »

Thanks JT. I'm happy with the set you sent me, unfortunately I'm still early in the chassis construction to mount mine. I should be sending you necessary parts for the front early next week.