Best Flywheel & Clutch - last one you will buy!

A spot for any one considering making or selling reproduction parts-please put parts for sale in the vendors ad section

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Re: Best Flywheel & Clutch - last one you will buy!

Post by fj20spl311 »

Took my NEW Flywheel and New Clutch cover to San Diego Engine Balancing today.
The flywheel was on the money and the cover just need indexing, but the balance was good.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ppeters914 »

fj20spl311 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:30 am Pulling the engine to replace the clutch is no big deal, its all "the while you are there" distractions that add up.
+1000

We pulled my engine & trans "just" to replace the clutch and head gasket, and some general clean up. Just get the car driving, then figure out where to go from there. A couple-three weeks max, right?

Discovered wiped cam and lifters, which then progressed to frame off. Almost five years later, just starting to reassemble......heavy sigh.....
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by theunz »

ppeters914 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:09 am
fj20spl311 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:30 am Pulling the engine to replace the clutch is no big deal, its all "the while you are there" distractions that add up.
+1000

We pulled my engine & trans "just" to replace the clutch and head gasket, and some general clean up. Just get the car driving, then figure out where to go from there. A couple-three weeks max, right?

Discovered wiped cam and lifters, which then progressed to frame off. Almost five years later, just starting to reassemble......heavy sigh.....

Someone needs to develop a vaccine for the" while I'm in in there disease". I know I'd take it!
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Ahhh, the problem with a vaccine or cure is that if you don't succumb to the disease at the right time (While you ARE actually there or at it), then you are forever plagued with the regret of "Why didn't I do that last time while I was in there?" or the similar corollaries: "Why didn't I just:" a) Do it right the first time, or b) spend the extra money for the better part or c) why didn't I seek professional help! or d) fear of "Did I do that or not....????"
For every action there is an equally gut wrenching mental reaction to torture you!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
ACGarage
Roadster Newby

Post by ACGarage »

JT.
Do you have any more of these fancy flywheels to sell or am I two years too late? If so, what is 2018 price?
I know I will need a clutch at some point and like your approach/solution.
I have a '70 1600 w/ 4 speed. From what I am reading this will work with all 240 Clutch parts.
Thanks
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

I do have one or two more at the 2018 price.

https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.c ... l-flywheel

You are correct, you can use any early 240 plate,disc and throw-out bearing. Anything from low-cost parts basic parts to extreme duty composites. Any Dakin/Exedy setup would be just fine and very cost effective.

I'll double check on the 4-speed application. The only question is which throw-out bearing sleeve will be required, but no big deal, Nissan used several and they are readily available.

j
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
Mike Young
Roadster Newby

Post by Mike Young »

Works very well. And actually the pedal pressure is lighter than the U-20 pressure plate delivers. Less load on all actuating components. Even the firewall can suffer (flex) a bit.
augsburger
Site Supporter

Post by augsburger »

Datsun Restoration Products R16 iron head with a Steve Pettersen 5 speed. I put on a 225 mm lightened and balanced flywheel and pressure plate with an Exedy clutch. Result? Excellent. Couldn't be happier. Great feel and response. Jim Tyler sent me the set up balanced and ready to bolt on and as always with whatever he gives me, no problem.
I haven't felt like that since 7th grade...
70 SPL
83 F-250 460 c.i. puller
couple of others