High Strength Timing Chains

A spot for any one considering making or selling reproduction parts-please put parts for sale in the vendors ad section

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

JT68
Talented Enthusiast

High Strength Timing Chains

Post by JT68 »

Hello all, there was a recent thread regarding timing chain sources and I thought I'd add another option. Earlier this year I looked at the availability of timing chains and decided that I wasn't very happy with quality level of most of the aftermarket chains out there. The sources of the parts, quality level and factory QC is pretty much an unknown.

With the U20, if the upper timing chain fails it makes a bloody mess of things destroying many components,sometimes the cylinder head,valve cover, valves, sprockets, timing cover etc. If the lower chain breaks, you will bend some valves, but it usually doesn't wipe out all that much. (Still expensive however)

So for high-performance use, a very tough upper chain is a really good idea. I spoke with a company here that builds racing engines for Porsche/BMW and checked into the source of timing chains for those motors. The chain loading is similar and the rpm range about the same.

Though the Porsche connection, I ordered a custom chain specifically intended for racing. The cost was about the same as a Nissan chain used to be. I asked them about Iwis replacement parts, but the Porsche guys said not to use them for high rpms.

I posted a couple of the chains on ebay. One is gone, so I have one left for sale. It is a very heavy duty chain. LMK if anyone would like it. I can probably get a couple more, but they are too expensive to order and have sit around.

If there is enough interest, I could probably have the short chain made through the Porsche contact too. Probably 90-100$ estimated price.

The Porsche sourced upper chain 130 shipped. I realize this isn't a part for most people, but if you put Mega$$$$'s into an engine and plan to run it hard, a 25$ chain isn't a great idea.

Jim
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
mikeb
Site Supporter

Re: High Strength Timing Chains

Post by mikeb »

Jim - thanks for doing the research and offering this part to the roadster community. If the wear characteristics and tendency to stretch are superior to stock, it seems to me that it may not be that expensive at all, even for the average U20 owner. With the cost of the other timing components and the labor required to change all that stuff out, the chain may actually be very cost effective.

Mike
bmccarthy67
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by bmccarthy67 »

I'll take one!

v/r
Buddy
http://www.mydatsun.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
67.5 SRL311-00321
67.5 SPL 2000 Transplant
66 SCCA Project
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Yep. Will do. I'll get a few more of the racing chains to have on hand.
LT/JT
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

More good news! I had the Porsche racing outfit make the lower chain too. (It is the same as the upper just fewer links) Should have them on hand by Monday. Fits 2L lower and all 1600.

88 for lower chain
125 for upper

Best chain available that I know of! jt
LT/JT
bmccarthy67
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by bmccarthy67 »

Well shoot...now I'll need the lower too. PM sent.

v/r
Buddy
http://www.mydatsun.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
67.5 SRL311-00321
67.5 SPL 2000 Transplant
66 SCCA Project
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Thanks Buddy, since you just bought the other chain, I'll cover the shipping to yah. Thanks again! Jim
LT/JT
mellis18
Site Supporter

Post by mellis18 »

JT68 wrote:More good news! I had the Porsche racing outfit make the lower chain too. (It is the same as the upper just fewer links) Should have them on hand by Monday. Fits 2L lower and all 1600.

88 for lower chain
125 for upper

Best chain available that I know of! jt
PM sent.
Robert Ellis
Saratoga Springs, UT
1969 SRL311

1969 SRL311-07332
Matching numbers
1966 Mustang Coupe
311foursome
Roadster Newby

Post by 311foursome »

Hello: My racer friend of yore (70's-80's) used Renold chain which seemed to be quite a bit more durable. I drove my car from 1980 to 1992 with one chain replacement half way through in that 70k miles. The tensioner was not very far out, I periodically added another rubber washer to take up the new slack. I am sure the Renold is not as fancy as the German racer stuff but it seemed OK and far better than stock. I recently looked up Renold ( they had supplied primary chains to Triumph and BSA for many years) and now they hail from Canada. I have not attempted to source chains from them or to communicate, but the web site catalogue listed specs and availability and several grades are offered. I still have a U.K. sourced Renold chain in the original shop-worn packaging. I believe replacing the chain around 30k miles is good. I broke the head gasket at the cylinder head/timing cover and used Ultra Blue RTV after thoroughly cleaning with carb cleaner to fill in the void, and used Loc Tite blue on the 6mm screws which were kept on there with little to no torque. This did not leak a drop, unlike the rear main weep these things always have. The stock chains seem to stretch a lot right away, which is a way to judge the quality. Quality motorcycle chains nowadays can go thousands of miles now before the first adjustment. My Aprilia has 9k miles on it without an adjustment yet. Sitting down with a rag and a can of WD40 and cleaning the chain by hand is recommended by all the manufacturers (I am now doing). keep us posted if one of y'all does actually get a Renold chain in the future! I do not have a need at the moment.
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

I have a couple new Renold upper chains available. They are very good chains. Used them as race engine chains way back in the day.

I called Renold before I found the Porsche group. They wanted 170 each for non-master link upper chains and were not interested in a 10-20 piece order. They also didn't want to make any claims or recommendations regarding use as engine timing chains. That's why I went with the German chains since they told me it is purpose built as race engine timing chain.

I'll sell the Renold cheaper than they quoted me for them. I'm sure either chain is perfectly suited for our engines. J
LT/JT