Best Rear Shocks-better than Koni

A spot for any one considering making or selling reproduction parts-please put parts for sale in the vendors ad section

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Re: Best Rear Shocks-better than Koni

Post by JT68 »

Chucks66 wrote:I think I PM you also tried email. Not sure if they sent?
Chuck, Did not make it////. Check your email. Thanks!
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
mtresillian
Roadster Nut

Post by mtresillian »

JT68 wrote:
5. The Bistein is just a greatly updated design in every regard, (Koni's are about 1950 tech- a great product, but very dated)

I had to find a better option for us, and these are the result!
The koni's are not ideal. I appreciate what you are doing, however I cannot help but wonder: Isn't replicating dyno data from Konis, in a Bilstein, just reproducing this 1950's tech?

I've had the pleasure of driving a car with custom Bilstein's in Australia and they are 21st century technology. And they allow a spring setup (incl monoleaf), that is much stiffer than factory, to ride very flat and firm even on bumpy roads. They are not only much more comfortable, they also keep the tyre on the road the the grip level is superb and is far superior to any setup with factory springs. It's hard to imagine a Roadster can ride so well. [/quote]
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Thank you, appreciate your input. The original Koni curves were reversed which is a huge step in the right direction- after all, Konis were the best off-the-shelf option there was, and they are STILL a very good option aside from all the other Koni issues.

But no, we did not stop there. Then I worked with Bilstein and the dyno/chassis tuning company to reality check the correctness of the Koni curves based on the suspension type, spring rates, GVW, and weight bias. It took a year and a bunch of testing.

They provided three ranges to bias the curves for street, aggressive street and autocross. I currently have aggressive street and autocross on hand and are waiting on more of softer street curves. All of these curves are great for street use and provide many of the improvements that Konis did with a softer ride (if desired)

Again, one of the biggest advantages to these is tuneability, so no-one is stuck with the original Koni damping.

Since flex forms are fairly popular here and the early roadster rear spring is excellent, the rear Bilsteins are built around those options. The harsh Nissan comp rear springs would need different comp/rebound.

For the fronts the intended use is for stock springs up to Mike Young springs.

These options also support the lowered spring choices popular in the US, so you do not have to use stock front springs as other setups require.

As for 50's tech, well truth be told, all the rest of the suspension is 40's-50's tech, but all these improved curves were developed with Bilstein recommendations using modern computer-dyno calibration methods.

If you want the Koni curve, have that. If you want softer ride, more rebound control, have that. Ifyou autocross all weekend and want firm comp, strong rebound control, yep have that too. Pick your setup!
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JT68 on Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LT/JT
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

mtresillian wrote:
I've had the pleasure of driving a car with custom Bilstein's in Australia and they are 21st century technology.
But but but but why on Earth would you want 21st technology in your Datsun Roadster??!! Doesn't this make the car worth half as much in Australia?
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
msampsel
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by msampsel »

The value of my roadster with its original Koni shocks from the 70's continues to plummet! :mrgreen:
Oh well ... and what about those orange Bilsteins? :smt004
67 1600 (Mods only a mother could love)
78 911 SC Targa (Severe Oversteer but still loved)
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Again, super happy that options are coming around, as when I was working with my flex form springs after switching from worn out comps there were no good shock options before the re-valved Koni. The Gas-Adjusts made the rear end hoppy and felt unstable. The Koni transformed things, and my ride actually became completely comfortable and predictable. The only advantage I see to the Koni vs the Bilstein is the ability to change the dampening some (compression only I think?). I think I have mine set one up from softest, but it has been a while since I checked. Again, glad these are out there, but I must say the Koni and Flex form set up is the best my car has ever had (street car).
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

On the Konis's it is just rebound that is adjustable. Comp is fixed, so it doesn't change compression impact.

For the fronts though, no one ever adjusts the Konis since you have to take apart most of the front suspension to do that.

I really do like Konis which is why they were my starting point instead of stock. I agree, the Konis and Bilsteins are in a whole different class than the budget and stock shocks. A totally different level of suspension control.

Kinda like comparing a Sears Bias ply to a Pirelli P7..
LT/JT
mtresillian
Roadster Nut

Post by mtresillian »

Alvin wrote:
mtresillian wrote:
I've had the pleasure of driving a car with custom Bilstein's in Australia and they are 21st century technology.
But but but but why on Earth would you want 21st technology in your Datsun Roadster??!! Doesn't this make the car worth half as much in Australia?
Lol. We've been having lots of trouble finding NOS engine oil as well. Although any price drop is offset by a reduction in lifetime dental bills!

However, when the number of roadsters on craigslist in the USA equals about 1/3 of the total RHD roadsters in Australia, one can understand why we like to keep them as original as possible.

My next project is a Model T with a mondeo engine :shock:
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

mtresillian wrote:one can understand why we like to keep them as original as possible.
:shock:

I totally get that.

That's a great thing about the new Bilstein setup. If you ever want to go back, everything is still a bolt on. If you decide to sell your roadster, or make it 110% original, you can save them for your next project!
LT/JT
mtresillian
Roadster Nut

Post by mtresillian »

Reversibility is a good thing. Agreed.
I was looking at the pic above and it looks like the eyelet of the shock attaches to the bottom A-arm base plate. Is there an adaptor for it?
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Since this thread is specific to the rears, I'll put up a separate post about the fronts. Also some terrific advantages.

PM me if you would like a set in the mean time//. Jt
LT/JT
mtresillian
Roadster Nut

Post by mtresillian »

Aah yes I see from the title, that this post is for rear shocks.
I was just referring to the pic you posted in your first response to my question above which had a front end shock in place. Id be interested to know how it will attach to the A-arm base as it appears to have an eyelet. I'll keep an eye out for your front shocks post.
Cheers!
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

deleted
Last edited by JT68 on Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
LT/JT
bikermike
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by bikermike »

-Mike
1967.5 SPL311
1972 240z / L28
2003 BMW 525i Touring
2014 Jeep KL
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

PM or Email for more info on EXCELLENT Bilstein Front Shocks! -- Extreme quality and performance!
LT/JT