removing dash

Share your experiences here with those favorite tools or tips that work well.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Re: removing dash

Post by Lorna c »

sprayed it down with truck bed liner spray .. seems to have the rite texture and color so seems to be a win .. I'll post pictures when it's installed later today (if I get it done today)
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

waiting for last coat to dry . $10 for a new coating on my dash .. looked at the undercoating too but it's more rubbery ..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by mraitch »

well done, a picture of the whole thing would be good.

Always fun to DYI and make stuff work.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

mraitch wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:15 pm well done, a picture of the whole thing would be good.

Always fun to DYI and make stuff work.
yeah I will when it's dry . it's hard to get it where it hangs in shade .. and my camera kinda sucks on this phone . but it has tape and stuff so I want to wait until it's installed in the car . hides flaws better installed too . haha ok I'm going to check it now see if it's dry now hopefully , getting dark quick now ...

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

word of the day now .... haha I think I used it 5× last post . need to proofread more again

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

only 1079 posts/threads in one year ..... haha I thought I was restraining myself too . .I didn't know you can see how many threads you post in a final number on your profile ... I feel sorry for all of you guys having to help me ... and there are 2 others who take the other 2/3 of my questions I hit up... . that's allot huh ¿ I have so many more too ... holding back on some less pressing ones so I don't scare any one away permanently...... haha there's soooo much to know tho ..

mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

Lorna,

Don't worry, you are keeping one of our cars on the road, and the knowledge you are gaining will be useful to someone in the future. And, if we didn't want to help, we wouldn't.

What is often important is for the community to know is what works/ed and what didn't and what workarounds/fixes you have come up with. Like your 'welded' screwdriver for the dash. And when you discover the exact dimensions for the oil gauge 'nut' you can share that and have it added to the techwiki.

Even the experts can learn something from what we as individuals come up with, and with resources drying up (except for what the vendors are supplying/creating) all information is useful. Just to know/recall that there was a thread about <x> because you asked the question is incredibly useful.

So, keep up the good work and hopefully by this time next year you won't have reached 2,158 posts. <g>
Peter Harrison
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

haha no it'll be more like 4200 actually, probably . I'll reread your comment because something in there said something I'm thinking was a super kind way to be saying something important for me to know.. haha what¿ so I'll go back to read again . and I , can , will Someone remove that number .. haha just kidding just kidding . I'm kidding . anyway time is the maturing factor I'm thinking in this mechanic thing ... I thought mechanics were just mellow people ... no y'all are Beat down to a "whatever yeah that's typical ." state of life ...haha not a bad place to be tho . I still yell a bit at the tool. . haha

mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

nothing was 'kind'' all genuine and honest, nothing underhand.
Peter Harrison
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

ok now how do I get this dash back in !?! oh my word . I'm beat and sore and don't want to do this . lol done pouting now . but what's the order that makes this easier ? I've gotten the slider bars for the heater and fuse wires back it the glove box ..that's all ....

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

I thought I saw someone say to out a fuse on something while I had dash off ? I can't find where I read it now . ergh . I'll have to skip that step I think . idk I hope taking it off wasn't easier then going back in ..... is it ? am I just tired and fighting it ? or is it tuff ? if anyone is on today ..

mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

Lorna, I suggested putting an accessible fuse before the alternator ammeter gauge - it can otherwise just be an expensive/hassle fusible link!
Peter Harrison
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

weell - hook up as many electrical connex as you can that you can't do with the dash in place, which is pretty much all of them. As, I indicated before, unless a PO has 'messed' with the connex none (AFAIK) can be connected inaccurately. They all have different connex. Put in the bulbs, the oil line can be connected once the dash is in place as can the two cables (speedo and rpm - though suggest you clean them, test fit and perhaps lightly grease so that they will spin on easier. You might have to enlist/bribe a friendly neighbour to hold the dash while you start the screws/bolts. I imagine doing it one handed (without Midol <g>) would be a challenge.
HTH
I applaud you for the effort you are putting into this, you will have gained knowledge (and tools) that you never thought you needed.
Peter Harrison
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

mraitch wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:53 pm Lorna, I suggested putting an accessible fuse before the alternator ammeter gauge - it can otherwise just be an expensive/hassle fusible link!
that's what it was . thanks ! as u know , this dash stuff stinks . I think I've crossed the cables . I'm going to pull the one I have in and see if they go better the other way . one doesn't seem to make it enough, and one has a bend that doesn't seem natural for being there for 50 yes so , yeah, taking allot of breaks , because it totally sucks , I'm still working on it . lol . it's amazing how 3days later you forget what tool you ended up with , up there to get to that , and it takes as long to get it back on as off . ergh . but these cables are last to need . ooh no the fuse box too .then done . and fuse while I'm down there still . be back when I can whoop and holler "I'm done ..." no more breaks

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

mraitch wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:01 pm weell - hook up as many electrical connex as you can that you can't do with the dash in place, which is pretty much all of them. As, I indicated before, unless a PO has 'messed' with the connex none (AFAIK) can be connected inaccurately. They all have different connex. Put in the bulbs, the oil line can be connected once the dash is in place as can the two cables (speedo and rpm - though suggest you clean them, test fit and perhaps lightly grease so that they will spin on easier. You might have to enlist/bribe a friendly neighbour to hold the dash while you start the screws/bolts. I imagine doing it one handed (without Midol <g>) would be a challenge.
HTH
I applaud you for the effort you are putting into this, you will have gained knowledge (and tools) that you never thought you needed.
and watch the few wires and even cables where they bunch, jam, get pinched between the car and dash . haha "what ? why is that stuck" oh my the dash has to come out and allot is hooked up already . haha that probably fell under hook up before dash set in instructions .. haha read it too late . thanks tho . great advice , would have saved me 2hrs if I'd seen it :-( haha going back till done ! !