garage tool tricks and tips

Share your experiences here with those favorite tools or tips that work well.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

pebbles
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: garage tool tricks and tips

Post by pebbles »

That pesky , but undenialbly important air hose keeps getting wound up under your tires as you work your way around the car......a brake shoe tucked neatly under each tire like a chock, works fantastic, to keep the hose sliding smoothly. And in a pinch, they make a good wheel chock if placed fore and aft.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
dynaguy

Post by dynaguy »

Put it on wheels! I live in an area where snow tires are a must. Seeems like wherever I store them, they are in the way. I picked up a pair of furniture dollies at Costco, and can roll them out of the way and right to the car when needing to change. Also rigged up wheel dollies so I can move my Roadster frame around as I work on it or other projects.

Pat Mahoney
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Garm
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by Garm »

I have four dollies just like that, never thought to stack racing wheels on them so I can roll them over the car. Thank you..
1969 Roadster 1600-ish #26244 "Spike"
---------------------------------
OS GIKEN LSD $1720
AASCO light flywheels $398.95
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

They go on sale at Harbor Freight for about $7.00 all the time. I brought some to work for a project and my boss made sure he got them right back to me. He said he didn't want me unable to roll the car around. I stared at him blankly. He said he thought I used them under the tires as dollies to move the car in the garage, they hold 800 pounds each. Duh, never thought of it, but I will NOW :oops:

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
ideaman
Forum Newb

Post by ideaman »

Ultrasonic cleaner for bolts and parts... preferably the heated ones. I have 2... one big 5 or 6 gallon for the big parts and one little bench top job for bolts and small stuff. Get the ZEP cleaner for it... capful is all you need per fill of the tank. Throw 'em in, set the timer and go about your repairs. When done... bingo... like new, totally grime and crud free stuff. You can buy them cheap from medical-oriented businesses going out of biz. No more parts scrubbing and nasty smelling cleaners. Just empty the tank every so often and refill with water.
fixitman04
Roadsteraholic

Post by fixitman04 »

Ever have a hole to drill that is close to a corner or sidewall... And not have a long enough drill bit to keep the drill from hitting the side?

Here is my solution. i just clamp the hex rod into the vise, take the desired drill bit... and drill into the center of the hex.. about an inch or so. then place the bit in the hole you just drilled. then spot weld the bit to the shaft.

it is important to keep the spot weld as small as possible to keep from over heating the bit and making it brittle. i tig weld mine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by fixitman04 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
67.5 srl-311-00407 u20
desperately looking for a 67.5 body that is rust free... id settle for any low window tub
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

To add to the above, you can get long drill bits with a flexible shaft at an alarm supply house, from 12" to 6 feet! The 6 footers are a handful, whip like a b@%*rd when the bit gets stuck

Dave Brisco

66 2000 The Bobster
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
fixitman04
Roadsteraholic

Post by fixitman04 »

I just keep 10-20 ft of this hex shaft on hand.. Its only about $00.50 a foot and available at any metal supply place. I keep 3/8 and 1/2 inch on hand
67.5 srl-311-00407 u20
desperately looking for a 67.5 body that is rust free... id settle for any low window tub
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

I could not get this fuel hose to budge. Tucked this dent puller in and worked it around. slid right off.
And those pliers. hose pliers. I usually cut old hoses, but if you had just installed new 6 mo ago and dont want to cut, slide them over the steel and squeeze, slick. Great for hard to reach areas as well.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

They have a tool for that! $2.99 at Harbor freight- it's beefy and works great! Ive had variants of these over the years, and this one is pretty darn good. Plus look how fast it is with the fancy design on the handle.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

dbrick wrote:To add to the above, you can get long drill bits with a flexible shaft at an alarm supply house, from 12" to 6 feet! The 6 footers are a handful, whip like a b@%*rd when the bit gets stuck
The have them at my Home Depot over in the electrical section.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
fixitman04
Roadsteraholic

Post by fixitman04 »

updated my post
67.5 srl-311-00407 u20
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

I could not get all the debris from the rear 1/4 B pillar, so I stuffed the shop vac hose through the top hole, and down as far as it would go, then stuffed the air blower in the middle hole and down as far as it would go, cranked em both up and in five minutes it was clean!
David

fixitman04
Roadsteraholic

Post by fixitman04 »

cool... il remember that one
67.5 srl-311-00407 u20
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

pebbles wrote:I could not get all the debris from the rear 1/4 B pillar, so I stuffed the shop vac hose through the top hole, and down as far as it would go, then stuffed the air blower in the middle hole and down as far as it would go, cranked em both up and in five minutes it was clean!
We had to do something similar on an ATV years ago. Had a bunch of mice nested and then die inside the backbone frame, which is also the airbox. Ended up using an air compressor, blower and vacuum every direction we could. Smell from the vacuum exhaust was awful. Suddenly there was a "Thud Thud Thuds Thud" all was good.

I've had a Snap-on cotter pin puller for 30 years, one of my top 10 best tool purchases. Even used it for a cotter pin once or twice!

Jegs sells a kit for $10.00, includes a "radiator hose tool"
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/W235/10002/-1?CT=999

Dave Brisco

66 2000 The Bobster
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70