garage tool tricks and tips

Share your experiences here with those favorite tools or tips that work well.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

George H
Roadster Fanatic

Re: garage tool tricks and tips

Post by George H »

I have also done the baggies and sharpie. But I also wrote down step by step procedure in a note book with bolt nut and washer orientation. Make sure you put all your baggies in rodent proof container. I didn't and they chewed through most of my baggies and it became a box of bolts.
George
67 2000
69 2000
76 620 K/Cab
tjp
Site Supporter

Post by tjp »

Garm wrote:What tricks do you all use to keep track of nuts/bolts/washers/small parts when you are doing a project and taking something apart or off the car? I seem to lose something important every time; mostly because I start multiple projects I think.
I use empty prescription bottles with a slip of paper inside when I am taking nuts and bolts off of part cars. You can see through the bottle and they are durable for long term storage. And as we get older, these bottles seem to be too plentiful. :cry:

tim
My junk pile:
71 Jeep Gladiator. Restored w/#s matching engine. My WeeBeasty
70 1600 legit 2nd owner. Stroked and bored
Several salvaged w access to a barn full of parts, part cars & whole cars
......What's in the barn is for sale. What do you need?
fixitman04
Roadsteraholic

Post by fixitman04 »

just be sure not to take a datsun pill tim
67.5 srl-311-00407 u20
desperately looking for a 67.5 body that is rust free... id settle for any low window tub
tjp
Site Supporter

Post by tjp »

lol. too late!
My junk pile:
71 Jeep Gladiator. Restored w/#s matching engine. My WeeBeasty
70 1600 legit 2nd owner. Stroked and bored
Several salvaged w access to a barn full of parts, part cars & whole cars
......What's in the barn is for sale. What do you need?
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

tputland wrote:
Garm wrote:What tricks do you all use to keep track of nuts/bolts/washers/small parts when you are doing a project and taking something apart or off the car? I seem to lose something important every time; mostly because I start multiple projects I think.
I use empty prescription bottles with a slip of paper inside when I am taking nuts and bolts off of part cars. You can see through the bottle and they are durable for long term storage. And as we get older, these bottles seem to be too plentiful. :cry:

tim
It can be FUN trying to empty enough bottles to use for this!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

Those red pills that come with the points are the best. After Rehab, I had to go with electronic ignition.
http://www.panteraplace.com/Tech%20Info/Mikes%20points%20112101%207.jpg

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

If one opts not to remove the windshield for paint, A wire or twine tucked under the rubber can help lift it away from the body. After paint pull the wire.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
fixitman04
Roadsteraholic

Post by fixitman04 »

its also a good way to install the high window windshields... put a waxed rope in the gasket groove, seat one side ov the gasket to the body(bottom is easiest)apply pressure to the outside of the window glass and pull the gasket to the body from the inside using the rope... easily done(hard for me to describe)
67.5 srl-311-00407 u20
desperately looking for a 67.5 body that is rust free... id settle for any low window tub
jrusso07
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by jrusso07 »

A great tool is a head light - one that actually straps to YOUR head. Great for working under the dash in the contorsionist position...
I use this one http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-LED-Wor ... B001C1DO9U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Screwdrivers with magnetic tips are a joy as are those extendable magnetic pick up tools!
Joe

1969 SRL311 - Solex
1970 SPL311 - U20 mod
1970 SRL311
jrusso07
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000

Post by jrusso07 »

Two other great tools are 1) a bench grinder fitted with a wire wheel to clean rust off of nuts and bolts, and 2) a parts tumbler to clean rust off small parts or to polish parts (depends on the media used).

And who can do anything without a well mounted and positioned bench vise?
Joe

1969 SRL311 - Solex
1970 SPL311 - U20 mod
1970 SRL311
Mike Unger

Post by Mike Unger »

Take an old roadster U20 exhaust valve and bend it at 90 degrees half way down the stem (heat with torch). You can now insert the end of stem in the bolt holes in back of the engine block when your working on the engine out of the car and the valve will rotate down and the head will drop into the teeth of the flywheel and lock it in place so you can torque the clutch, flywheel bolts or front crank bolt.
Mike Unger
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

fixitman04 wrote:its also a good way to install the high window windshields... put a waxed rope in the gasket groove, seat one side ov the gasket to the body(bottom is easiest)apply pressure to the outside of the window glass and pull the gasket to the body from the inside using the rope... easily done(hard for me to describe)
I spray the groove with lube and use a plastic clothes line. I always double the line at the bottom...go slowly almost no pressure from the outside (just hold in place) and it pulls right in.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600

Post by mraitch »

Undoing rusty nuts and bolts that are not seized (like the bottom one in the pump, or the two in the thermostat tower)?? Actually TIGHTEN them about one flat (perhaps after adding all the usual additives) and then slowly untighten/tighten etc (like tapping a hole, but in MUCH smaller increments). Very rarely fails and if it does, it was going to fail anyway.
Tightening introduces clean metal to the bolt/nut and breaks the rust bond which stresses the metal.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600

Post by Linda »

A Dremel and attachments work for lots of jobs.
I also like the Colortune

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
DanR
Roadster Fanatic

Post by DanR »

My basement is my workshop, and here's a tip I learned from my father to organize screws etc for storage.

Save glass jars with a metal lid, screw or nail the lid to a board wide enough for the lid and nail the board to a solid, reachable part of the ceiling (In my case floor joists). Put the screws in the jar and screw it to the cap and you have simple overhead storage.