garage tool tricks and tips

Share your experiences here with those favorite tools or tips that work well.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

fixitman04
Roadsteraholic

Re: garage tool tricks and tips

Post by fixitman04 »

i was saying you can turn it around and use the square part on the adjuster and the ratchet on the hex end
67.5 srl-311-00407 u20
desperately looking for a 67.5 body that is rust free... id settle for any low window tub
ZeroNilNada
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ZeroNilNada »

fixitman04 wrote:i was saying you can turn it around and use the square part on the adjuster and the ratchet on the hex end
Ah, I see now. Good call. Thanks!
1966 SPL311 02870
topdown
Roadster Fanatic

Post by topdown »

Take a shop rag and slip it behide window crank handle to pop clip off .hold tight on both ends when you slip in and rotate the rag around the shaft and it slips the clip right out of the groove . It works better than a clip removal tool .
Last edited by topdown on Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
1970 spl 1600 #28739 s15 sr20de
2004 subaru forester 2.5xt

I have empty pockets but have a hand full of hope
twistin
Roadster Fanatic

Post by twistin »

having trouble getting the barbed end of a brake cable off ?
slip a 1/2 inch box end wrench over the cable and it will pop off.
SRL-01749
My other car is an unfinished project. (as well)
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

topdown, love it!

Twistin - sorry, I can't visualize this, got a picture or more detail?
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
twistin
Roadster Fanatic

Post by twistin »

sorry not really a roadster fix as they have mechanical rods for e-brakes ; more for cables on every other vehicle out there. Ever try and remove a brake cable from a backing plate ?

another good tip: torx socket bits for removing broken bolts ,drill to size then hammer in the torx bit remove with ratchet. My torx's are brand name with lifetime guarantee so I just replace them if they get damaged or worn out unlike easy-outs.
SRL-01749
My other car is an unfinished project. (as well)
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

twistin wrote:sorry not really a roadster fix as they have mechanical rods for e-brakes ; more for cables on every other vehicle out there. Ever try and remove a brake cable from a backing plate ?

another good tip: torx socket bits for removing broken bolts ,drill to size then hammer in the torx bit remove with ratchet. My torx's are brand name with lifetime guarantee so I just replace them if they get damaged or worn out unlike easy-outs.
I can see that being better than an EZ Out, AKA EZ Break, probably less brittle.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
blueridgespeed
Roadster Nut

Post by blueridgespeed »

dbrick wrote:
twistin wrote:sorry not really a roadster fix as they have mechanical rods for e-brakes ; more for cables on every other vehicle out there. Ever try and remove a brake cable from a backing plate ?

I can see that being better than an EZ Out, AKA EZ Break, probably less brittle.
We all know how stuck/rusted fasteners turn a simple operation into an all-day frustrating chore!

Best if possible, to avoid!

I've tried WD-40, 3-in-1, PB-blaster, heat, and time.

Then I learned about Sili-Kroil !

It's expensive and not easy to find, but a 16oz spray can will last forever - works 2x as good as PB-Blaster, really!

-2. An IMPACT SCREWDRIVER can release the most stubborn phillps head screws- but you need pretty good access to hold the driver and hit it with a hammer. Lisle makes a decent-quality one with an assortment of replaceable hardened driver tips!
AltxF4
Roadster Fanatic

Post by AltxF4 »

I Didn't see this one posted.

When using products like POR15, and you need to coat areas with captive nuts use some wax to coat the threads in a sacrificial bolts/screws then install them in the nuts. After the POR15 cures you should easily be able to remove the bolts/screws and have nice clean threads in the nut portion.
mellis18
Site Supporter

Post by mellis18 »

A little trick I used to get the pesky little post installed where fingers aren't meant to go. Sent the thread (stolen from wife...please don't tell) through the mounting hole, then threaded the nut and washer and tied off the thread. Placed post through hole and then worked the washer and nut until I got it started. Didn't have to worry about losing the little buggers down inside the body.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert Ellis
Saratoga Springs, UT
1969 SRL311

1969 SRL311-07332
Matching numbers
1966 Mustang Coupe
greydog
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by greydog »

I have a tin of "Stick-Um Candle Adhesive". It'sa hockey puck shaped tin but smaller. Amazon sells it.
I use it to stick screws to screwdrivers, nuts in a socket, etc.It will temporarily stick andy dry surfaces together.
Sticks just well enough to hole a screw or nut but pulls apart easily and wipes off.
Dan
SPL311 aka Skooter. Sold. Now wasting away in the SF area.
1990 Nissan 300zx. Sold this one too.
2018 VW Tiguan
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

I thought of This yesterday and haven't had a chance to use it yet but,
--take a really long funnel about 3' long . get a heat gun and warm it up so it's bendable and make any needed curves then bend the tip to slip into gear box , it'll fill easier from above instead of oil pumping from below forever, or a long tube from above. once it's set it should slip into place and rigid enuf not to slip and make a mess during fill up .
- and gum works in a pinch for sockets holding nuts and such .
- and grab the copper tube (going to distributor and carbs ( vacuum advance?) to adjust timing when cars running and you don't want to get zapped.. just a pull or push to retard or advance your timing and hands never touch the distributor..
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

made this little baby quick and easily after I remembered I have a welder now .. haha for screws on dash up by windshield to remove dash without taking the windshield out . works great ..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by mraitch »

@lorna c
gud idea - but you might find it more effective to use 7/16 small socket (suitably ground for 'thiness' to get in the rather tight holes) - the phillips heads can strip easily and then you are 'screwed'.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

mraitch wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:22 pm @lorna c
gud idea - but you might find it more effective to use 7/16 small socket (suitably ground for 'thiness' to get in the rather tight holes) - the phillips heads can strip easily and then you are 'screwed'.
I saw that but mine are round . idk how I'd get that to do anything ? I was going to remedy that today with either squaring up the screws to do just that so I'd have a ratchet for it instead of turning it half turn at a time they were stripped that's why I flatten those Phillips head tip to be better and sink in it grabbed it pretty darn good but I still would like a ratchet in there I turned all kinds of stuff it kind of worked until I got to the really tough one and then I literally had to cut a flat head line up under inside the glove box where the screw came through so I could turn it from inside there to get it out but it got the other ones out pretty easy.. how do you get a square head to turn a round screw head? without having them out first to modify that is ..