Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

mojorising84
Roadster Newby
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Volvo Calipers

Post by mojorising84 »

Hello all!
I'm interested in purchasing a set of the front volvo calipers if someone happens to be upgrading to a bigger brake kit.
Cheers!
Cheers,
David

70 Roadster Project Car
86 BMW 528E Daily Project
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Volvo Calipers

Post by Habitat.pat »

I have a set of rebuilt calipers I bought about 10 years ago that I never used. I’ll have to look @ them to see if they are still good. I also have the brass adapters that someone made long ago to adapt them to single brake line connections. These are 240 calipers.

Where are you located? I’m in central Texas.

Peace, Pat
67.5 SPL311 Stroker Restomod
Pat Horne, Near Austin, TX
We support Habitat for Humanity
A hand UP, not a hand OUT
funkaholik
Roadster Fanatic

Post by funkaholik »

In order to mount the Volvo calipers, the bearing spacer needs to be changed to a different size, and the calipers shimmed a little bit. There is a great kit from Blue Hands Fabrication, but it now says NLA on their site. The mounting holes on the Volvo calipers need to be enlarged in order to bolt to the Datsun brackets. You will also need to use different rotors. You probably already know all that, but just in case. Also, the later 1991-93 ABS calipers are much easier to use since they don't require manifolds or cross-drilling to use with a single brake line.

http://www.bluehandsfab.com/311-roadste ... e-kit.html

I have finally acquired all the parts to do the 300ZX upgrade, so I will soon be selling my complete Volvo setup, including the spindles with the correct spacers installed, calipers, rotors, and braided brake lines. Not sure what the whole setup is worth, and I have to be home for a few days in a row so that I can take all the parts off the car, but if you're interested, it will be...soon? Sorry that that is so vague.

The calipers used to be available on Rockauto. Now I only see the non-ABS version available.

Here is a video showing the install. I personally had a machine shop remove the old bearing spacers and press on the new ones instead of using a couple of prybars like he does in the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygJTPUNNLlA

Some pics of my current Volvo setup:

Erik Miller
Concord, CA
1970 Datsun SPL311-29945, owned since '95. Back on the road in 2022!
1967 Mustang, 428, 5 speed
1981 VW Rabbit Truck, 1.6 turbo diesel
...Oh, and a daily driver.
viewtopic.php?t=19067
mojorising84
Roadster Newby

Post by mojorising84 »

funkaholik wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:05 pm In order to mount the Volvo calipers, the bearing spacer needs to be changed to a different size, and the calipers shimmed a little bit. There is a great kit from Blue Hands Fabrication, but it now says NLA on their site. The mounting holes on the Volvo calipers need to be enlarged in order to bolt to the Datsun brackets. You will also need to use different rotors. You probably already know all that, but just in case. Also, the later 1991-93 ABS calipers are much easier to use since they don't require manifolds or cross-drilling to use with a single brake line.

I have finally acquired all the parts to do the 300ZX upgrade, so I will soon be selling my complete Volvo setup, including the spindles with the correct spacers installed, calipers, rotors, and braided brake lines. Not sure what the whole setup is worth, and I have to be home for a few days in a row so that I can take all the parts off the car, but if you're interested, it will be...soon? Sorry that that is so vague.

The calipers used to be available on Rockauto. Now I only see the non-ABS version available.

Here is a video showing the install. I personally had a machine shop remove the old bearing spacers and press on the new ones instead of using a couple of prybars like he does in the video!

Hi Erik!
Thanks for the information. I've read through all this stuff a few times but it's always worth a review. I'm more interested in working on my own setup so I don't need all of the components for the complete kit. Your's looks amazing though, great job! I'm interested in finding a caliper for converting it to a 3d model to do some packaging studies and play around with different disc options to try and find a better solution. I've already digitized the stock front caliper, disc, hub etc and a Wilwood dynalite clone from Afco. Once it's done I could share it here if allowed.
Cheers,
David
Cheers,
David

70 Roadster Project Car
mojorising84
Roadster Newby

Post by mojorising84 »

Habitat.pat wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:14 pm I have a set of rebuilt calipers I bought about 10 years ago that I never used. I’ll have to look @ them to see if they are still good. I also have the brass adapters that someone made long ago to adapt them to single brake line connections. These are 240 calipers.

Where are you located? I’m in central Texas.

Peace, Pat
Hi Pat!
Interested in your calipers. If you could send me some pictures that would be great. Will need to see about shipping costs for the weight and whether it makes sense to ship from Texas.
I'm in Olympia, WA.
Thanks!
Cheers,
David

70 Roadster Project Car
GeoffM
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by GeoffM »

funkaholik wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:05 pm In order to mount the Volvo calipers, the bearing spacer needs to be changed to a different size, and the calipers shimmed a little bit. There is a great kit from Blue Hands Fabrication, but it now says NLA on their site. The mounting holes on the Volvo calipers need to be enlarged in order to bolt to the Datsun brackets. You will also need to use different rotors. You probably already know all that, but just in case. Also, the later 1991-93 ABS calipers are much easier to use since they don't require manifolds or cross-drilling to use with a single brake line.
Hi There,
Just to be clear for posterity... on the 240 non-vented caliper conversion, the hub stays the same, the OEM non-vented disc gets turned down ~1/8" radial (cant remember the actual OD), the 12mm mounting holes on the caliper have to be opened up to 1/2", and an approx. 1/2" spacer (or washer stack) must be used to center the caliper.
Just incase the OP was thinking of doing the non-vented swap.
Geoff
1969 SPL-311
mojorising84
Roadster Newby

Post by mojorising84 »

GeoffM wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:24 pm
Hi There,
Just to be clear for posterity... on the 240 non-vented caliper conversion, the hub stays the same, the OEM non-vented disc gets turned down ~1/8" radial (cant remember the actual OD), the 12mm mounting holes on the caliper have to be opened up to 1/2", and an approx. 1/2" spacer (or washer stack) must be used to center the caliper.
Just incase the OP was thinking of doing the non-vented swap.
Hi Geoff,
Thanks for the information. I've read through the available information which primarily pertains to the vented disc style swap so it's good to have some more insight on the solid rotor setup. As I mentioned previously though, I'm interested in the the calipers only at this point as I'm looking at investigating different rotors and combinations of shims/spacers etc. I am interested in both the vented and solid rotor style calipers to digitize them and potentially develop some different results from the current accepted setups.
Thanks!
David
Cheers,
David

70 Roadster Project Car
frydrce
Roadster Newby

Post by frydrce »

mojorising84 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:25 pm

Hi Erik!
Thanks for the information. I've read through all this stuff a few times but it's always worth a review. I'm more interested in working on my own setup so I don't need all of the components for the complete kit. Your's looks amazing though, great job! I'm interested in finding a caliper for converting it to a 3d model to do some packaging studies and play around with different disc options to try and find a better solution. I've already digitized the stock front caliper, disc, hub etc and a Wilwood dynalite clone from Afco. Once it's done I could share it here if allowed.
Cheers,
David
David if you’re using the dynalite you can use a Sentra ser spec v rotor. You will have to modify the bolt holes if I remember correctly.
spyder
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by spyder »

Check the bolts on the Volvo calipers!

viewtopic.php?p=125968#p125968
mojorising84
Roadster Newby

Post by mojorising84 »

Hi frydrce,
Do you happen to know the model year?
Thanks,
David
Cheers,
David

70 Roadster Project Car
frydrce
Roadster Newby

Post by frydrce »

mojorising84 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:26 pm Hi frydrce,
Thanks,
David
I believe it was the 2000-2004 Sentra ser spec v.
I can dig around and try to find the part number for you.
mojorising84
Roadster Newby

Post by mojorising84 »

frydrce wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:56 pm
Thanks,
David
I found them. Correct bolt circle, OD and height looks good. Only issue looks to be the center bore which would need to be opened to fit. That and the bolt holes as you mentioned.
Cheers,
David

70 Roadster Project Car
frydrce
Roadster Newby

Post by frydrce »

mojorising84 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:27 am
frydrce wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:56 pm
Thanks,
David
I found them. Correct bolt circle, OD and height looks good. Only issue looks to be the center bore which would need to be opened to fit. That and the bolt holes as you mentioned.
You are correct sir. I forgot we also had to open up the center bore.