Golden Week Kyusha Festival May 4

People can post things here such as upcoming runs, car shows and events!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Golden Week Kyusha Festival May 4

Post by Alvin »

The Golden Week Kyusha Festival is coming to Northern California May 4th! This will be a fantastic gathering for Japanese classic cars at the Crane Way Pavillion in Richmond, Ca. Registration closes April 20, so sign up fast: https://www.gwkfest.events/

Last edited by Alvin on Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
MicVelo
Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Golden Week Kyusha Festival May 4

Post by MicVelo »

Alvin, you going to this? BTW, the website says registration deadline is 4/20. Maybe they changed it.

Just thought of something..... registration due by Pot Day for an event on Star Wars Day. Interesting juxtaposition. :lol:
MicStable: '68 SRL-311, Z33, SL55 AMG, Highlander-H / Gone: Z34 & Z33 Nismos, Z33-Rdstr, Z33-GT, Z32, Z31 Shiro (R.I.P.), Q45, 6-S30s, D-Prod SRL311 and a bunch of other non-Nissans.
Mattk
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by Mattk »

That show looks cool! Wish I still lived in Albany

Matthew
MattK
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

MicVelo wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:49 pm Alvin, you going to this? BTW, the website says registration deadline is 4/20. Maybe they changed it.

Just thought of something..... registration due by Pot Day for an event on Star Wars Day. Interesting juxtaposition. :lol:
Hey Mic,
I want to go, just undecided on what I will bring. Thanks for catching the deadline!
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

Just signed up. FYI, there is a registration screening similar to JCCS. If you pass muster you’ll be required to pay $50 (includes t-shirt).
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

bakerjf wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:59 pm Just signed up. FYI, there is a registration screening similar to JCCS. If you pass muster you’ll be required to pay $50 (includes t-shirt).
Excellent! I'm registered now.
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

see you at the show!
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

WOW!
What a show this turned out to be! Fantastic venue and impressive turnout. Lots of pleasant surprises too (read below), but here is my general report with full photo gallery:

http://www.zcarblog.com/2019/05/05/even ... tival.html

Now for stuff I save for only my fellow roadster owners!
I was registered to show a shop Datsun 240s (Mrs. Butters) but it wasn't detailed the day before the show. Combined with my lack of motivation to drive 120 miles to "another" car show I decided to show support and take my roadster instead.

I was amazed at the venue, the Craneway Pavillion. Once the site of Ford Motor Company's assembly plant in 1930's!

The building was literally on edge of the bay, overlooking San Francisco:

People had fun with the roadster:

Our friend John Baker could not show his roadster but attended with family. There were two other roadsters outside the show I was surprised to see however!
Roadster sighting #1
Sitting outside the entrance was Harlan Katz' SR-powered SPL!

I thought "oh man Mike Young must be here!" A little bit later a gentleman comes up to me named Eric Miller. I know him as a ZCG customer with a supercharged G35...well he's wearing a Solvang roadster shirt? Turns out he is a roadster owner too! And he's driving Harlan's roadster! and it's for sale?! The current owner purchased it from Mike Young and Eric drove it to the show.

Roadster sighting #2
I met a gentleman named Mike Kidd who is a fabricator and ex-Datsun racer. He sees my roadster and tells me he has one too, a 1500 with a 2L/5-speed and 5-speed! :shock: And it's parked outside the show. We walk outside and I'm digging for the back story on the car. I already have a suspicion on who's roadster it is (or used to be). #GLENFARCLAS

And...wait for it...
IT IS THE ONE! 3-seats and all:

Mike purchased it from the PO who had got it from Ebay. It IS the one and only roadster we know from member "Bob". From Ebay. This one:
https://bringatrailer.com/2013/02/11/3- ... -roadster/

Mike is one heck of cool guy. He's building a Hayabusa-powered roadster for a customer. But he wants to sell the "Bob" 1500. So I will help him spread the word.

An older gentleman approached me to see if I wanted a roadster calendar. I really wasn't interested but he said it was an old one. We walk back to his car, a bone-stock time-capsule Datsun 510:
He tells me his name and I immediately remember the Jervis Family from the old Mt. Shasta Datsun Meet days! The back of his trunk was filled with old photos from the meet:

And that calendar? It was from 1999 and made by Michael Carion!!!! What an incredible calendar too:

Those are a few roadster stories from the show...please visit my report to see the rest of the cars! I really hope the do it again next year!
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
MicVelo
Site Supporter

Post by MicVelo »

Wow, Alvin, thanks for the great coverage (as usual) of what sounds like a great event! (I *had* to go to Disneyland this past weekend... niece's birthday and graduation present else I'd have likely been there!)
MicStable: '68 SRL-311, Z33, SL55 AMG, Highlander-H / Gone: Z34 & Z33 Nismos, Z33-Rdstr, Z33-GT, Z32, Z31 Shiro (R.I.P.), Q45, 6-S30s, D-Prod SRL311 and a bunch of other non-Nissans.
funkaholik
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600

Post by funkaholik »

Alvin! Great to meet you and John at the show. I totally missed the 3rd Roadster in the parking lot. A 3 seat 1500 with a U20 swap? Very nice. I had a blast driving Chris's 67 (formerly Harlan's and Mike's) that day. Really lit a fire to get mine on the road. Registered my car for Shasta, hoping that a new deadline will make me get it ready in time.

There were some really cool cars at that Kyusha Festival, but next year let's get more of the local Roadsters there! Maybe we can get Chris to bring more of his collection of cool Datsuns, too.

Erik Miller
Concord, CA
1970 Datsun SPL311-29945, owned since '95
1967 Mustang, 428, 5 speed
1981 VW Rabbit Truck, 1.6 turbo diesel
...Oh, and a daily driver.
viewtopic.php?t=19067