Utah to Solvang

People can post things here such as upcoming runs, car shows and events!

Moderators: notoptoy, garth, S Allen

User avatar
mellis18
Site Supporter
Posts: 505
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:07 pm
Location: Saratoga Springs, UT

Utah to Solvang

Post by mellis18 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:28 am

Is anyone from Utah going to Solvang this year? I'm still undecided if I want to chance the trip and if there is a caravan going it might sway my decision. I'd love to drive it in the Roadster but a little apprehensive. I could trailer it but what fun would that be!!!
Robert Ellis
Saratoga Springs, UT
1969 SRL311


1969 SRL311-07332
Matching numbers
1966 Mustang Coupe

User avatar
ted heaton
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Posts: 1534
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:01 pm
Location: Bellevue Washington
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Utah to Solvang

Post by ted heaton » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:23 pm

mellis18 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:28 am
Is anyone from Utah going to Solvang this year? I'm still undecided if I want to chance the trip and if there is a caravan going it might sway my decision. I'd love to drive it in the Roadster but a little apprehensive. I could trailer it but what fun would that be!!!
Robert, you probably did not see the rules for pictures accepted in the roadster calendar.
IF your roadster is in the calendar you are NOT allowed to trailer your roadster to Solvang. :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:
All roadster drivers have to get over "trip apprehension".
Get your roadster running good, throw some spare parts and tools in the trunk and DRIVE IT!
99% probability the roadster will make it. The other 1% will be "the adventure".
Many of us drive further than Utah-Solvang.
GO FOR IT!!.
See you at Solvang

Ted.
Ted Heaton
Bellevue, Washington
DROPS (Datsun Roadster Owners of Puget Sound)
SPL31003054 1964 1500
SPL31112958 1967.5 1600 S15 SR20DET
SRL31105015 1968 2000 S13 SR20DET
SRL31112326 1969 2000 Honda VTEC

User avatar
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Posts: 6646
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:47 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA

Re: Utah to Solvang

Post by Gregs672000 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:12 pm

I'm with Ted... these cars are very reliable and simple enough to be reviewed before hitting the road and repaired on the street if needed unless it's some catastrophic failure that would hopefully be making itself known now. Review the list of "what spares should I bring with me" and consider getting them together over the next few months. For example, I was very happy with myself that I brought along an extra electric fuel pump when it failed 3/4 the way up Mt Rainier last summer. I carry a selection of nuts and bolts and various repair materials like wire and fuses, tape and glue. Go for it!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA

User avatar
datsunrides
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Posts: 1590
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:15 pm
Location: Roseburg, Or

Re: Utah to Solvang

Post by datsunrides » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:39 pm

Now that I live in Roseburg, I plan to trailer my car to Shedd and Shasta...........


J/K. If you have the ability to do roadside repairs if needed, I wouldn’t worry about it too much. AAA is a good thing to have. I had an issue once where a car just quit on the freeway (fuel pump). Had the tow truck drop the car at a parts store and fixed it in the lot with a universal electric pump. Nice when you invariably need something you didn’t think you would need. Just walk back in. Most of the time the issue is not so bad that you can’t limp it to a place you can fix it.
1966 Roadster
Turbo / EFI U20 (T25 w/ SDS EMU.)

User avatar
mellis18
Site Supporter
Posts: 505
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:07 pm
Location: Saratoga Springs, UT

Re: Utah to Solvang

Post by mellis18 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:27 pm

She runs really good except for a some whining from the t/o bearing. That’s something that can’t be changed roadside.
Robert Ellis
Saratoga Springs, UT
1969 SRL311


1969 SRL311-07332
Matching numbers
1966 Mustang Coupe

User avatar
pebbles
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Posts: 3964
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:00 am
Location: Washington

Re: Utah to Solvang

Post by pebbles » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:30 pm

Constant whining is bad. Like Ted.
Whining only when the pedal is depressed is not too bad, but likely to get worse.
Ive only seen 2 TOs fail completely. Pretty strong part actually.
I love my trailer, and San Jose weather......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David




"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."

User avatar
mellis18
Site Supporter
Posts: 505
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:07 pm
Location: Saratoga Springs, UT

Re: Utah to Solvang

Post by mellis18 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:57 pm

pebbles wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:30 pm
Constant whining is bad. Like Ted.
Whining only when the pedal is depressed is not too bad, but likely to get worse.
Ive only seen 2 TOs fail completely. Pretty strong part actually.
I love my trailer, and San Jose weather......
Noise is only apparent when pedal is NOT depressed. When is out that's when I hear the noise.
Robert Ellis
Saratoga Springs, UT
1969 SRL311


1969 SRL311-07332
Matching numbers
1966 Mustang Coupe

User avatar
ted heaton
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Posts: 1534
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:01 pm
Location: Bellevue Washington
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Utah to Solvang

Post by ted heaton » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:23 pm

mellis18 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:57 pm
pebbles wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:30 pm
Constant whining is bad. Like Ted.
Whining only when the pedal is depressed is not too bad, but likely to get worse.
Ive only seen 2 TOs fail completely. Pretty strong part actually.
I love my trailer, and San Jose weather......
Noise is only apparent when pedal is NOT depressed. When is out that's when I hear the noise.
T/O bearing may be hanging up and turning when clutch pedal is out but unlikely.
Noise in the conditions you describe is usually the Transmission input shaft bearing.
You got 2 months to pull the engine/trans, repair and reinstall.
Get busy and you can drive worry free to Solvang.
:( :shock: :) :)

Ted.
Ted Heaton
Bellevue, Washington
DROPS (Datsun Roadster Owners of Puget Sound)
SPL31003054 1964 1500
SPL31112958 1967.5 1600 S15 SR20DET
SRL31105015 1968 2000 S13 SR20DET
SRL31112326 1969 2000 Honda VTEC

User avatar
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Posts: 6646
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:47 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA

Re: Utah to Solvang

Post by Gregs672000 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:11 pm

Sage advice that...
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA

User avatar
Linda
Roadster Enthusiast
Posts: 6962
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:37 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Utah to Solvang

Post by Linda » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:35 pm

Or just trailer it to Solvang, drive around the wineries, over the Pass to see the ocean, out to the Casino, etc. and if it breaks down put it on the trailer. Then fix it after Solvang. That way, no rush.
Linda
68 1600
Los Angeles, CA
Tech Wiki->Parts->Parts Interchange
Archives has it all

User avatar
pebbles
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Posts: 3964
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:00 am
Location: Washington

Re: Utah to Solvang

Post by pebbles » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:24 am

Squealing TO usually sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard.
Whine could be a bearing. Does the noise change during acceleration/deceleration?
Clutch adjusted?
Trans fluid changed?
A whine isnt likely to fail right away, a growl will.
David




"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."

User avatar
Bigtaku
Monthly Subscriber-Roadster Enthusiast
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:10 pm

Re: Utah to Solvang

Post by Bigtaku » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:25 am

Does your car fit in this trailer? Florida is a long way to drive for the calendar photo op, but who wouldn't want their car in the calendar? My wife doesn't like the idea of sharing her trailer space with the Datsun. This is edited...
Michael Montez

User avatar
pebbles
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Posts: 3964
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:00 am
Location: Washington

Re: Utah to Solvang

Post by pebbles » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:21 am

Yes. No need to drive far to submit calander pics.
Agree. Sleeping with your car is a little weird.....lol.
.
3222075C-DADB-4F42-9705-509DFD696286.jpeg

.
6998A17D-76E0-4C67-A933-0873CE784116.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David




"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."

User avatar
mellis18
Site Supporter
Posts: 505
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:07 pm
Location: Saratoga Springs, UT

Re: Utah to Solvang

Post by mellis18 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:00 pm

pebbles wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:24 am
Squealing TO usually sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard.
Whine could be a bearing. Does the noise change during acceleration/deceleration?
Clutch adjusted?
Trans fluid changed?
A whine isnt likely to fail right away, a growl will.
Clutch adjusted fine. Trans fluid changed about 500 miles ago. It's really not a whine and I can really only notice it when clutch pedal is out and car is in neutral.
Robert Ellis
Saratoga Springs, UT
1969 SRL311


1969 SRL311-07332
Matching numbers
1966 Mustang Coupe

User avatar
pebbles
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Posts: 3964
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:00 am
Location: Washington

Re: Utah to Solvang

Post by pebbles » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:49 pm

Im with Ted And Mark, roll with it. Just keep bumping this thread for a caravan!
I put GL4 and a cup of the redline MT90 in the 68 5 sp, and it seems to like it. 1600 miles so far.
David




"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."