San Marino Concours d' - Japanese Entrants - June 10

People can post things here such as upcoming runs, car shows and events!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

San Marino Concours d' - Japanese Entrants - June 10

Post by mraitch »

Current entrants for San Marino Concours - Japanese - I am Head Judge for this Class.

1972 Nissan type S, 1983 280ZX coupe, 1968 Honda N360, 1968 Toyota S800, 1971 Datsun 240Z (2), 1970 Datsun 240Z.

shame no roadsters, quite a few notable Japanese cars missing in fact - I guess not too many JDM owners think that a Concours of this pedigree would accept their cars.

Maybe next year!!!

Still, it's a great show at Lacy Park, everything up to and including true CCCA classics.

Not, in my opinion as good as Palos Verdes, but above Huntington Beach.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Re: San Marino Concours d' - Japanese Entrants - June 10

Post by bakerjf »

I’m very happy to see they will have a judge this year that actually has a clue. I participated in this event for a couple of years. The venue is amazing, and I’m very appreciative that the organizers think enough of Japanese cars to include the class. However, the judges and certain past last-minute class decisions have been lacking IMO, and may be why people have been turned-off from participating.

The show works closely with, and basically enlisted (enlists?), Mike Malamut to help assemble cars for the show. Malamut has an awesome collection of Japanese cars himself, but the whole “judging” process felt more like a coronation of whatever Malamut brought, than a serious judging of whatever else was in the class. The judges assigned to the class knew NOTHING about Datsun Roadsters, and frankly didn’t seem particularly interested in learning. They were, however, very familiar with their pal Malamut, and the joking and camaraderie displayed during the judging of his cars was a touching sight indeed. :roll: The last year I participated a completely obscure, historically insignificant and thoroughly unimpressive (but “cute!”) microcar won the class. Brought by Malamut of course. An “oddity” vehicle that really had no business being in the class in the first place. Second place went to, I kid you not, a 1985 Toyota Celica, which was added to the show at the last second (friend of Malamut I was told). The class was supposed to be cutoff at ‘72, but Malamut made it happen, so there you go. If this sounds like sour grapes, Maybe. The third place car was an amazing, one family owned, 240Z owned by Rich Scharf. The same Rich Scharf that has his Roadster on display at the Petersen Museum right now... Should have won the class!

Organizers also thought it was a swell idea to include a late model Figaro and a banged up late ‘70’s grocery hauler at the last minute. The final result was a class that was a mishmash of years and quality that did ZILCH to further the respectability or appreciation for classic Japanese automobiles. Frankly, I was embarrassed to be there at that point and later wrote the organizers a nice long email detailing my thoughts on how their actions were counterproductive to the long term health of the class. Never got a response - haha. Doesn’t stop them from still asking me to enter my car every year though. Needless to say, I have since sworn off that show until they can get their act together.

Sight unseen, I’d bet a case of your favorite beverage that whatever Malamut brings, worthy or not, wins the class again. I’m assuming the Honda is his. Any takers?

Rant complete.
Last edited by bakerjf on Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

John,
Perfect timing!
Malamut will be attending this weekend's Cars and Coffee at Canepa
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

Alvin wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:57 pm John,
Perfect timing!
Malamut will be attending this weekend's Cars and Coffee at Canepa
Yawn... I don’t have a Malamut problem. Like I said he has a great collection and is genuinely passionate about Japanese cars. I do have a problem with the organizers who run the show, and past judges who have had no clue what they’re looking at. In their defense, when I participated I was told that they were assigned the day of the show regardless of their background, which in fact is another knock on the show... The last time I was there an Aussie judge assigned to another class came up to me and the car and knew everything about them. Why wasn’t he the head judge that day?

I’m not alone in my view of things. Unfortunately, it’s not an uncommon perception - a “friend of the show” donates their time and efforts to make a show successful...and brings a car to be judged...and shockingly...wins (sometimes year after year). I’ve been to shows where the judges don’t even show up to see your car. Why? Because the whole thing is preordained. Why should I care, or other people who enter a car show? Because we spent hours (in the case of a Concours, LOTS of hours), a fair chunk of change, and a day out of our lives to participate in an event that raises money for the organizers. Is it too much to ask that they show participants the same respect? Can they at a minimum feign interest and go through the appropriate motions?
Last edited by bakerjf on Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

One thing Peter neglected to mention is that Adam Carolla is bringing his Newman race cars to the show. I’d be very into that!

https://www.sanmarinomotorclassic.com/l ... ornia-show
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
VNTGESRL
Roadster Newby

Post by VNTGESRL »

The GOOD news is: The head judge is a member of 311's.org.Time and tide will change minds, these cars of ours have merit and will stand to be counted. Education and perseverance wins the day. I wish I could be there to help!

Steve Tetreault
NYC+
1967 2000 SRL31100455
1971 240Z HLS3020520
1987 Chevrolet SWB Silverado
2013 Fiat Abarth
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

VNTGESRL wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:46 pm The GOOD news is: The head judge is a member of 311's.org.Time and tide will change minds, these cars of ours have merit and will stand to be counted. Education and perseverance wins the day. I wish I could be there to help!
Holy Cr@p!! I got Steve to weigh in! Day made. :lol:

I’m sure Peter will do a great job too, and bring a careful and educated eye to ALL the entrants!
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

I do appreciate ANY comments - given that this concours has indeed included J-Cars. I know STUFF, but I am NOT an exoert!!

This is what I sent to the organiser - AND if ANYONE has ANY comments + or - - please let me know before Sunday.

And I didn't know about Adam's car, because they haven't told me! May be a game changer??

So - my email

John,

Thank you for giving me the current cars competing in 'J'

I have a few questions about the judging criteria.

1) At 1st glance the Toyota (presuming condition is suitable) has to be 1st place from both two perspectives - rarity (3131 built) - and as much as Japanese cars qualify for 'elegance', other than its bigger brother the 2000GT, THE most elegant Japanese Car (maybe a case for the Cosmo)

2) I am hoping that the 1968 Honda N360, is indeed # 1 as was displayed at JCCS last year.

Significant - absolutely - elegant ????

3) And then the 240Z et. al.
The Japanese E-Type, which following on the heels of the successful road racing roadster was/is essentially the Japanese MG TC as far as its impact upon the American motoring/racing public.

So at first blush, I am inclined to give the Toyota 1st place - just because - and equally ignore the Honda (regardless of its provenance) - leaving me with discerning valid differences between the Z's

Your thoughts??

Peter Harrison
818 448 3181

BTW - no roadsters, no subaru, no mitsubishi, mazda - are/is the committee up to reaching out to that community - even Mazda/Toyota with their headquarters (and collections) based here in SoCal?
If the committee is up to including/honoring J-cars (thank you by the way) - there are SO many local resources. Just look at what is happening at the Petersen right now.
Peter Harrison
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

Going in, I think every judge is going to have his favorites and own ideas of what’s “important” and what’s not. I get that, and I’m not naive enough to believe a Cosmo or 2000GT doesn’t automatically have a leg up on the competition from the get-go. That being said, just realize everyone there has busted their ass (or paid someone to) to prepare their car under your purview. In fact, at that show I think you pay an additional $50 to get your car judged - so they’re actually paying for it. Spend a similar time with all the entrants, have a couple questions formulated, make some nice remarks, and everyone will be happy.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
Howard R
Roadsteraholic

Post by Howard R »

Crap! I received an invite to the show, and put it in my desk. Forgot all about it until I saw this post. I would have participated. I checked their website an hour ago, and registration is closed. Maybe next year.
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

John,

I totally get your point about the effort (paid or not) that some people put into presenting their cars, and I respect that and will honor that effort regardless whether it is a Mercedes 540K or a Subaru 360.

And, hopefully, I will not leave the same taste in the 'no place' displays as you experienced.

And Howard, you just lost your opportunity to bribe your way to a First Place Award, (g) - and it would have been relatively inexpensive!
Peter Harrison
Howard R
Roadsteraholic

Post by Howard R »

I'll bribe you next year if you are judging!
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

bakerjf wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:23 pm I’ve been to shows where the judges don’t even show up to see your car. Why? Because the whole thing is preordained. Why should I care, or other people who enter a car show? Because we spent hours (in the case of a Concours, LOTS of hours), a fair chunk of change, and a day out of our lives to participate in an event that raises money for the organizers. Is it too much to ask that they show participants the same respect? Can they at a minimum feign interest and go through the appropriate motions?
First, I totally agree with your sentiments and concern. With Peter at the helm, I hope the "Malamut factor" does not play into the judging results.

We have come along way in regards to inclusion/respect for these Concours events. I like to use the 2013 Marin Sonoma Concours as a good example.

I "helped" corral some representative roadsters to participate. The cars were all judged by those fancy-dressed judges. Though not well-versed in roadsters, each car got 10-15 minutes of scrutiny.

Ed Mason won Best In Class:
[youtube][/youtube]

You can see and read about the judging process for our member's roadsters here:
http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... ilit=marin
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

I agree wholeheartly! I understand the vast majority of people on this forum never show their cars, have no interest in showing their cars, and are not particularly interested in the first-world problems for those that do. That being said, car shows, especially Concours-type, help raise the consciousness of the hobby to the value and unique qualities a Datsun roadster possesses. An audience that otherwise would think “it’s just a MGB ripoff,” discovers that in fact they are really a different animal altogether. That attention manifests itself in magazine articles, TV time and web exposure, which in turn garners respect and interest, which of course increases the value of our cars...a very good or bad thing depending on your perspective.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

What I really hate is corruption invading my hobby, even though I am not into car judging per se. Corruption is real world stuff I try to get away from in the Datsun world.
Good luck with that, eh?
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.