Solvang North to South GumBall Run to the Friday Meet and Greet

People can post things here such as upcoming runs, car shows and events!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Guy
Roadster Fanatic

Solvang North to South GumBall Run to the Friday Meet and Greet

Post by Guy »

Anyone heading South on Friday, I'v mapped a suggested (DRAFT) Google Map Fun Run Rally

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.0437328 ... Kg5C1V8?hl

On Friday we will meet at the Chevron Station 1390 Prospect Ave in Hollister at 8 am.

:smt004
Last edited by Guy on Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
datsunrides
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Solvang North to South Fun Run to the Friday Meet and Greet

Post by datsunrides »

Need permission to view map?
1966 Roadster
Turbo / EFI U20 (T25 w/ SDS EMU.)
Guy
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Guy »

datsunrides wrote:Need permission to view map?

Try now......
datsunrides

Post by datsunrides »

:smt023

Not 100% sure what I'm taking yet (roadster or 520). If I go roadster, I'll probably tag along. If I decide on the truck, I'll probably go hwy 1. Last time I drove 25, it was in pretty poor shape. That was a couple years ago so hopefully it has gotten fixed up. BTW, the Chevron station is like a mile from my place so if anyone needs some minor repairs or whatnot, I can help out there. There is not a lot of parking at that Chevron, but there is a parking lot just past it that would be better if more than a few people join in. In any case, whether I roll with your group or not, I'll be there in case anyone needs something before heading out.

Mark
1966 Roadster
Turbo / EFI U20 (T25 w/ SDS EMU.)
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

This is a fun trip though 25! bikermike, Raul and I did this to Paso/Cambria:
http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... so#p194512

I am sure it will be gorgeous and green compared to our trip!
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
Kurt
Site Supporter

Post by Kurt »

I am planning a Friday trip...
San Jose, CA
70 SPL311 (Pumpkin)
67 SRL311 00520 (Princess)
Damian
Site Supporter

Post by Damian »

I will be heading down from San Francisco on Friday, but 7:30am is too early for me.
SRL311-08391
U20 - SUs
svwilbur

Post by svwilbur »

I will be going to Solvang friday also but more like leaving at about 9:00 or 10:00 from santa cruz area and go down most of the way on 101.

I just want to get there in one piece, not too fast, and be the in time for the get together. my 27 year old son will be my passenger, or may follow in a Pathfinder. we will be lodging in Lompoc.

it might be nice to have some company on the road in case of any issues arise. these roadsters are 46+ year old vehicles...

it looks like about 250'miles and 4 hours or so. the meet and greet is at 6:00. I just want to get to Lompoc before that 4:00ish? and check into motel and then head over to the Mendenhall Museum to arrive a bit before 6:00 I guess.

I will be coming back Sunday morning and may take a different route back.
Stacey Wilbur
1970 2000 SRL311-14335 White
Guy
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Guy »

Damian wrote:I will be heading down from San Francisco on Friday, but 7:30am is too early for me.

We can work on the start time,
Guy
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Guy »

Reserved a Tent site @ Flying Flags --room for 3 cars and and 6 guest max. I'm in for 1 car and one tent.
svwilbur

Post by svwilbur »

Guy, I am just thinking out loud here. I am not trying to tell you what to do or how to plan your trip. I am just seeing what options I might have and if this makes sense for me and my comfort/driving style. And if it made sense to try to follow some of you guys down the road to Solvang.....

I was unable to look at your route on my cell phone but now looking at it on Windows I can see the route. Very interesting side roads! It looks like it could be a lot of fun. The only negatives are there does not seem like there is much around most of those roads for chances to repair anything if something were to fail and it may take a bit longer to go that route. But it does go right by my motel in Lompoc!

However I can not seem to find a way to get your google maps route to display an associated distance and length of time for the trip.

Actually I am just interested from Hollister on down.
Do you have information on that, distance and time?

I tried to duplicate your map on google maps, not in your shared one, so I could get that stats and it looks like it may be 5 hours and 9 minutes and 225 miles from Hollister to Solvang using your route. Does that sound about right?

That is compared to 3 hours and 38 minutes and 204 miles if you just did 25 to King City and 101 the rest of the way down. I guess your roads must be lower speed zones.

I know it is not the time or the destination as much as the journey but that is a bit longer trip. Plus add whatever all of our time is to get to Hollister, a bit over another hour for me. and a break for gas or food somewhere (add at least 30 minutes?) so maybe 6 hours travel time if everything goes right?

To get there by 6:00 I would need to leave my house by 11:30 0r 12:00? But that is probable cutting it all too close. So I see why you were thinking 7:30. To play it safe I guess allow 6 hours from Hollister and if you wanted to get there an hour early then maybe 7 hours (that is a pad of 2 extra hours)? So the latest departure would be 11:00 from Hollister??

What was your schedules looking like?
When did you want to get down there by?
What stops did you have planned?
How long do you think it would really take to go down your route from Hollister to Solvang?

Maybe I am just way over thinking this one....
Stacey Wilbur
Guy
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Guy »

Stacey, I appreciate the dialog.
I can google maps route to display an associated distance but not time for the trip, PM me your email address and I will add editing access for you.
Your estimate of distance and time look accurate. +/- 5hrs
I'm OK with adjusting stat time,
Planed stops are.... Lunch some place along the way and the unkown,fuel,bathroom,take a picture or just smell the roses stops. +/- 1.5hr
Im camping wanted to make it to Flying Flags +/- 4:30pm and have sometime for R & R before the M & G
How about start time of 9:30 am?

Guy
svwilbur

Post by svwilbur »

"How about start time of 9:30 am?"

Guy - that may work for me. it depends on if I can get my son up and going by 8:00 to get to Hollister in time! he may just want to zip down 101'later. but I know he was interested in going with other datsuns. I need to check.

what speeds do you think we would be driving?
what are roads posted for speed and what would we be driving?
Stacey Wilbur
Guy
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Guy »

David Witt from the Sac Club sent this in an email update
All
"Here are some more details for our caravan. We will meet at 1:30 on Thursday at the AM PM at Grantline Road and Highway 99 in Elk Grove. From there we will take 99 to Stockton and then cutover to I5. We will take I5 south to highway 152 unless the group would like to drive highway 33 instead. Then west on 152 with a stop at the San Luis Reservoir Visitor’s Center and then a stop at Casa De Fruta. Then on to Hollister where we will spend the night. I have reservations at the Best Western.
On Friday we will meet at the Chevron Station 1390 Prospect Ave in Hollister at 8 am. From there we will take highway 25 south past the Pinnacles National Park to highway 198. Then west on 198 thru San Lucas and on to the Mission. After the Mission we will head south picking up highway 101, then if there is time we will take some backroads from Santa Maria to Solvang.
Generally we travel at the posted speeds. We like to enjoy the scenery and stop and take pictures at interesting places. We try to make it an enjoyable trip and we are not focused on how fast can we get there"
RCMike
Roadsteraholic

Post by RCMike »

When I have driven those roads, they are all but abandoned, no traffic to deal with.. They are very comfortable at the posted speeds or +10... There is good cell service out there. I could think of a few other side turns I would make, but I tend to drive a little faster. That is a beautiful route..