Our First Show

People can post things here such as upcoming runs, car shows and events!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

jhayden
Site Supporter

Our First Show

Post by jhayden »

Pictures 47 and 48 show our cars during set up for the show:

http://www.kltv.com/story/31268411/east ... cycle-show

The photos below show our cars after the judging. Both were awarded third in their respective classes. Needless to say, we benefited greatly from helpful info posted on this website -- THANKS TO ALL!

Jon and Kathy Hayden

:smt006
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Re: Our First Show

Post by Alvin »

not interested in shows.

Show us how it drives!!!!!!!!!!
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
Roadster Fanatic

Post by #009 »

I'm with Alvin. I wanna hear it growl! Videos please
cktrap
Roadsteraholic

Post by cktrap »

I'm over here in Grapevine, TX. I'd love to check them out. That install of the small block looks sweet. Nicely done
Keith
'70 SRL311
'10 GMC 2500HD
pebbles
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by pebbles »

Congrats on a podium! Cars look great.
Thanks for sharing.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Congratulations on the coverage and finishing placement!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
datsun65
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by datsun65 »

Wow , wow, wow!

You make Texas proud!
Dan
Houston, TX
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

I dunna know, it might be a little under powered vs the U20 car ;-)
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

(clears throat) umm yeah, Congratulations! Must be a great feeling and it's stupendous for our little roadsters!

How about a little video of the 'Vette powered one?
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
Mattk
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Mattk »

Congratulations!! I think the show was important! I would've loved to buy tickets for the mustang to help raise money for a good cause!!
I'm just over here in Flower Mound,TX. right by cktrap. It would be great to see....and hear the lil beastie. Congrats again nice work!

Cheers
Matthew
MattK
jhayden
Site Supporter

Post by jhayden »

Alvin wrote:(clears throat) umm yeah, Congratulations! Must be a great feeling and it's stupendous for our little roadsters!
How about a little video of the 'Vette powered one?
Our sincere thanks to everyone for all the friendly comments. Although we didn’t see the judges’ score cards, we surmise that they were generous in awarding points for an “educational” display that showed the Datsun–Nissan connection, and the history of the roadsters. After all, the LT1 was competing against some very fine cars with chromed undercarriage components displayed above mirrors :shock: . Although final figures haven’t been released, the heavy crowd turnout for all three days of the show (we had great weather) generated a lot of revenue for a good cause.

Alvin, you are correct regarding a video, and it’s something that will be forthcoming. That said, some folks will be sorely disappointed to watch and hear a “cruiser” machine rather than a “performance” one. The motor is basically stock, and produces around 300 hp. We wanted one with good street manners that we can drive (in dry weather only, of course). Those side pipes have internal mufflers, and the sound level is roughly comparable to our U20. The sound is quite different, though, and on long downhill coasts produces a pleasant rumble with no backfires (Let’s leave those to some Harley boys who seem to thrive on them).

We plan to drive the red car regularly to Tyler South Broadway Whataburger shows on the second Thursday of each month starting in March, weather permitting. Out-of-towners will enjoy the variety of cars!

Jon and Kathy Hayden
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Again, contratulations on a great show and a pair of beautiful cars. Stuffing an LT1 V8 into our little roadster is quite an accomplishment, and sooooo clean! Are the LT1's aluminum block, or iron? What is your sports car feeling when comparing the U powered car vs the V8? Is the LT a lot heavier, making the car nose heavy, or does it remain balanced with just a ton more torque and power? I can imagine the torque must be intoxicating and addictive...
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
jhayden
Site Supporter

Post by jhayden »

Greg,

Three decades ago I was always happy to demonstrate to skeptical friends that the Datsun advertising claim (corroborated in the June ’68 Car and Driver test) of an indicated 100 mph in third gear was no exaggeration for a showroom stock SU equipped U20. I do not drive like that anymore (“A man’s got to know his limitations”), but the LT1 does accelerate going up steep hills as if it’s under NO load.

Our builder (Tim Moody of Ace Powder Coating) located the engine and tranny rearward, and the entire firewall is moved back and constructed of much heavier gauge metal than the original. All LT1 blocks are iron, but the heads for Vettes (and F-bodies) are aluminum. I am anxious to get both cars on the scales, but there is no measurable difference in frame-to-ground clearance between the two cars in the front. The LT1 sits a bit lower in the rear, but part of that may be attributable to the 850 cca battery in the trunk (ya think?). Both cars have stock springs front and rear.

In any type of competition besides straight-line, I would drive the U20. Actually, I would rather give the keys to you or Kathy (my wife) rather than trying to drive it myself!

Jon
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Truly a wonderful pair of cars Jon! Thanks for the description. I've talked to friends about these kinds of things, engine swaps, weight, soul, etc and as always there are pros and cons. It's good to get the perspective of someone with two similar cars with considerably different engines. Sounds like the LT was done quite well!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA