San Marino Motor Classic June 14, 2015 – Japanese Class

People can post things here such as upcoming runs, car shows and events!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

motorman7
Roadster Nut

San Marino Motor Classic June 14, 2015 – Japanese Class

Post by motorman7 »

So I am off to another car show with Roadster. This time it is the San Marino Motor Classic, complete with a Japanese class (very nice).

https://www.sanmarinomotorclassic.com/home

Actually, the show is a bit far away for me but I felt obligated to go for the following reason. Last year they sent me an invite in spite of the fact there was not a single class that my 240Z could enter. As a result, I sent them a ‘scathing’ letter bemoaning the fact that Japanese cars (I mentioned the million dollar Toyota 2000GT and such) were being overlooked at a number of high end shows. The event chairman, Aaron Weiss, sent me a personal letter explaining all the ins and outs of car show categories and the politics behind category selection. As a result, I learned a lot from him regarding car shows of this caliber, and ended up sending a formal apology for my first letter. That being said, now that they have a Japanese class, of course I had to enter (in spite of the fact it exceeds my two car shows per year resolution).

Anyway, I heard that Jay Ataka will be there with his Gold Medallion winning 240Z. I am looking forward to seeing that car again. Jay is a good friend and great support to the Z and roadster community. He makes the beautiful braided hoses for the roadsters.

So, I will try and provide pics from the event. Looking forward to seeing all of the cars.

Rich
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Re: San Marino Motor Classic June 14, 2015 – Japanese Class

Post by bakerjf »

Hey Rich, that one is my area - I might have to go lend some moral support and root for Datsun rights! I've seen that 240Z before too it's gorgeous!
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
Red Baron
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Red Baron »

j. Are you taking your car?
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

I was thinking about just going to spectate, but I see they have an exhibit-only option that sounds less stressful than the full-blown judging deal - my oldest daughter is getting married the weekend before and I just don't have time to get the car judging-ready. However, I'm wondering if I do go, will I be the only one who drives their car there? Not very "concours"... :roll:
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
motorman7
Roadster Nut

Post by motorman7 »

I always drive mine to the shows (if less than 100 miles- I did trailer my Z to Phoenix once). I think you get extra (brownie) points from the judges if you drive the car to the show. I have been asked more than once by judges if I drove the car to the show.

It would be nice to see your car at the show John. Your car is amazing! Also, the red and white colors would make a nice contrast as would the 1600 and 2000 motors. The show cost is a bit pricey, but they do provide a continental breakfast. The La Jolla show is a much better food deal. Anyway, I am glad they have a Japanese class. I know there will be at least one Toyota 2000GT there, as well. Should be a nice show.

Rich
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

Ok Rich - I submitted an application/registration form to attend as "Exhibit Only". I will let you know if I am deemed worthy to get past the red-rope. :D
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

Well, that was quick - I've been accepted. Apparently, for some reason, all Datsun owners now get preferential treatment from Mr. Weiss! Seriously, looking forward to seeing your car again Rich and hanging out.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
motorman7
Roadster Nut

Post by motorman7 »

Yes, very glad you will be attending. I have made a number of upgrades since you saw the car last. Still not as nice as yours, but I am very happy with it.
Mr. Weiss has some very impressive vehicles. I saw one of his Rolls Royces at a Concours event last year. I think it took Best of Show....it was stunning.

Again, very glad you will be there. Can't wait to see your car again.
motorman7
Roadster Nut

Post by motorman7 »

I Did a little engine bay clean-up in prep for the show. Dyed the hoses, polished the valve cover, sand blasted the intake manifold and changed the fuel line set-up. The yellow tint to the plastic parts (fan, washer bottle and brake fluid containers) will have to remain for now. I love the new fuel line set-up. It is so much cleaner. My only concern would be some vapor lock, but with that 7 blade fan it may not be an issue.

Also, I notice the JCCS web site is advertising the show. That is nice to see.

http://www.japaneseclassiccarshow.com/
DSCF2996.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

Wow Rich, the car looks great! I noticed JCCS was advertising the show as well - I wonder how many cars they have for the Japanese Class?
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
msampsel
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by msampsel »

motorman7 wrote:I Did a little engine bay clean-up in prep for the show. Dyed the hoses, polished the valve cover, sand blasted the intake manifold and changed the fuel line set-up. The yellow tint to the plastic parts (fan, washer bottle and brake fluid containers) will have to remain for now. I love the new fuel line set-up. It is so much cleaner. My only concern would be some vapor lock, but with that 7 blade fan it may not be an issue.

Also, I notice the JCCS web site is advertising the show. That is nice to see.

http://www.japaneseclassiccarshow.com/
DSCF2996.JPG
Very pretty! :smt026
Does your vacuum advance line go to the front carb?
67 1600 (Mods only a mother could love)
78 911 SC Targa (Severe Oversteer but still loved)
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Those look like owner improvised overflow tubes, not vacuum. Clean solution.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
msampsel

Post by msampsel »

notoptoy wrote:Those look like owner improvised overflow tubes, not vacuum. Clean solution.
I agree and observed those too :D. Is the red circle overflow :?:
DSCF2996 - Copy.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
motorman7
Roadster Nut

Post by motorman7 »

msampsel wrote:
notoptoy wrote:Those look like owner improvised overflow tubes, not vacuum. Clean solution.
I agree and observed those too :D. Is the red circle overflow :?:
DSCF2996 - Copy.JPG
that is the vacuum advance line going to the intake manifold balance tube. I am getting the impression that this is not the correct set-up. Should this be going to the tube that I have capped on the forward SU?
msampsel

Post by msampsel »

Tube usually to bottom of rear carb