Solvang Suggestions???

People can post things here such as upcoming runs, car shows and events!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Ldino21
Roadster Fanatic

Solvang Suggestions???

Post by Ldino21 »

Now that this years event is over and we had a larger turnout than previous years, we are looking for more feedback to make the event even better:

Some suggestions we have heard!

Do the Poker Run earlier (not 3:00p.m.), left little time before dinner.

Have a Parts Auction at the show, for owners to sell their parts.

Any suggestions you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

Lou Smaldino
FresnoDROC
millertime

Post by millertime »

Great Show !! We had a blast..

My wife had a suggestion. She thought it would be nice to have music playin thru the day on the Sound system dont know how feasable that is but just throwin it out there.

My idea is I would like to see all the winners get together for either a group shot or maybe a quick drive thru center so we can all see the owners with their cars.

Thx
Derek
Minh
Roadsteraholic

Post by Minh »

Sorry did not attend. Someday I will venture to southern side...

Did any of our vendors show up and display their wares with special show prices?

It's nice to have a face to go with phone voice or email order. It realy humanizes the relationship.
'69 1982cc SU
'74 1600cc VW Bug
http://www.311s.org/registry/1969/srl311-07837.html
When life hands you lemons, ask for TEQUILA AND SALT!
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

There is a weekly cruise in here in Jacksonville, and they have a DJ with music being played at every one. It is nice, and to add to it, the music is typically 60's music (lots of Hot Rod hits like Little Deuce Coupe, Hey Little Cobra, Shut 'em Down, Little GTO and other car inspired music.) The only downside is that they only have a couple of speakers, so the dispersion of the music could be better. Still, it adds to the fun of checking out the rides.

Since I have not attended, I cannot offer specific suggestions. Of course, if you want to sponsor me by paying my airfare and room for next year's event, I would be happy to provide an unbiased opinion! ;-)

Here are some ideas from the other shows and such that I have been to:

Have dash plaques for all entrants (SEROC has done this for the Mitty and it seemed to be well received)
Have a wall plaque for entrants - this can be pricey though
Have a banner or sign for the show and as each car arrives for the show, have a polariod taken of the car - with the driver - in front of/below the sign as a keepsake. (for those that are creative, the polariod and the dash plaque can be put on a wooden backing to make a wall plaque!)
If there is a race track nearby, have "parade laps" for the attendees. (This is done at a pretty good speed at Road Atlanta and is a big hit - it is also done at slow speed at Daytona for the Rod Runs down there.)
Have a container by the signin so that folks can donate to sponsor Sid's attendance in the future. (hey, someone may take this seriously!)
Have a perpetual award - SEROC has done this at the Mitty - If you want details, let me know.

I can come up with more ideas if you want....
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
Datsa 66

Post by Datsa 66 »

One thing I noticed was that there was no mention of the Solvang show on any Solvang related website I visited. They always seem to have that knife show listed but nothing about our cars or the show.

I am thinking it might be a good idea to make sure our event is listed on all of the city web pages.

Andrew Murphy
SRL311-00489
Ldino21
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Ldino21 »

My wife had a suggestion. She thought it would be nice to have music playin thru the day on the Sound system dont know how feasable that is but just throwin it out there.

What you didn't like that Christian Choral group that came out and sang at 1:00p.m , we have thought about music, we are just afraid of having to not only yell over the music but yell over all the other people talking also

My idea is I would like to see all the winners get together for either a group shot or maybe a quick drive thru center so we can all see the owners with their cars.

Last year we did that, this year we forgot because one of our main guys was out picking up a car that broke down on the road, with our camera in the front seat, we have some great pictures of the broken down car though

Did any of our vendors show up and display their wares with special show prices?

I saw most of our vendors at various times throughout the show:
Mike Young - Datsun Sports
Stan Chernoff
Dean Apostle - Fairlady Products
Les Cannaday - Classic Datsun Motorsports
Rod's Discount Datsun
Z Therapy

some were selling parts, we even had a special box of parts for guys who broke down, next year we are including Starters in that box.

Since I have not attended, I cannot offer specific suggestions. Of course, if you want to sponsor me by paying my airfare and room for next year's event, I would be happy to provide an unbiased opinion!

Sorry I don't think our budget is big enough

Have dash plaques for all entrants (SEROC has done this for the Mitty and it seemed to be well received)

Everyone who registered a car received a Dash Plaque

Have a wall plaque for entrants - this can be pricey though

The 1st & 2nd Place winners received a Wall Plaque

Have a banner or sign for the show and as each car arrives for the show, have a polariod taken of the car - with the driver - in front of/below the sign as a keepsake. (for those that are creative, the polariod and the dash plaque can be put on a wooden backing to make a wall plaque!)

We had a photographer taking pictures throughout the show.

If there is a race track nearby, have "parade laps" for the attendees. (This is done at a pretty good speed at Road Atlanta and is a big hit - it is also done at slow speed at Daytona for the Rod Runs down there.)

No track, we are trying to find a way to incorporate an Auto-x day in there, though

Have a container by the signin so that folks can donate to sponsor Sid's attendance in the future. (hey, someone may take this seriously!)

We have a rather good size raffle, to us that's our container!!

Have a perpetual award - SEROC has done this at the Mitty - If you want details, let me know.

That is something we do not have, and whether or not I can get info on the last 17years or so, it would be something nice to have.

I can come up with more ideas if you want....

I will always listen

One thing I noticed was that there was no mention of the Solvang show on any Solvang related website I visited. They always seem to have that knife show listed but nothing about our cars or the show.

That is one thing that disappointed me this year, last year we were all over everything, this year it was like we were forgotten, we are on top of this one.

Anything else???

Lou Smaldino
FresnoDROC
Marky510
Roadster Nut

Post by Marky510 »

All those vendors were there? Wow, I had no clue, it seemed to me that I only saw 2 selling their wares, and Les was just browsing the meet. In the future, my suggestion would be to have the vendors wear name tags, or announce who they are or something that would help put the names to the faces. I know Les from the vintage racing events, so he's the only one that I could recognize. I don't know if they would be willing to do something like that, but it sure would be kinda cool to know who your buying stuff from, personal touch is always good in my book.

Mark
1970 Stroked 1600
Still waiting for cylinder head.

1966 Ford Cortina MK1 Wagon

1968 Volvo 124 Wagon -- For Sale

1963 Datsun WPL312 Wagon
Minh
Roadsteraholic

Post by Minh »

How's about a Datsun Roadster grand prix or atuo-X through the city streets like they do in Monaco?

Have the DJ transmit the music through an AM or FM transmitter over a few blocks so people in their cars and radios can extend the sounds without wires. It is great for getting announces out too.

Have local radio stations come out a promoate the station and be part of any of their radio station give aways at the show. It will spread interest and bring people that would not normally come out to the show. The girls do always say, "Hey, that's a cute little car." Then, all of a sudden the guys buy them. Go figure. It worked for the Cooper and New Beetle.

Get automotive related business to sponsor the event. Offer to put their company name in the show moniquer if they pay. You know like Nismo, TurtleWax, Hemmings's, Meguire's, Snap-On Tools, Craftsman, Autozone, etc... Solvang City is already getting billing for free make them pay.
'69 1982cc SU
'74 1600cc VW Bug
http://www.311s.org/registry/1969/srl311-07837.html
When life hands you lemons, ask for TEQUILA AND SALT!
Ldino21
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Ldino21 »

All those vendors were there? Wow, I had no clue, it seemed to me that I only saw 2 selling their wares, and Les was just browsing the meet. In the future, my suggestion would be to have the vendors wear name tags, or announce who they are or something that would help put the names to the faces. I know Les from the vintage racing events, so he's the only one that I could recognize. I don't know if they would be willing to do something like that, but it sure would be kinda cool to know who your buying stuff from, personal touch is always good in my book.

Nametags was on eof the suggestions my wife gave me when she got home!, we might try that next year?

How's about a Datsun Roadster grand prix or atuo-X through the city streets like they do in Monaco?

You pay for the Liability Insurance??

Have local radio stations come out a promoate the station and be part of any of their radio station give aways at the show. It will spread interest and bring people that would not normally come out to the show. The girls do always say, "Hey, that's a cute little car." Then, all of a sudden the guys buy them. Go figure. It worked for the Cooper and New Beetle.

That's a very good original idea!

Get automotive related business to sponsor the event. Offer to put their company name in the show moniquer if they pay. You know like Nismo, TurtleWax, Hemmings's, Meguire's, Snap-On Tools, Craftsman, Autozone, etc... Solvang City is already getting billing for free make them pay.

That would be great, but it's kinda hard unless you have some connections, We sent a lot of letters out to vendors, even ones on your list and didn't get much response back.