Rota RB Wheels-- Another Alternative to a Panasport?

Tires and rims is always coming up. Discuss these item here!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

drewnamis
Roadster Fanatic

Post by drewnamis »

I think the main reason is that people understand what offset is, and most people have no idea what backspacing is. So offset is a more universally accepted "concept".

I see how backspace makes more sense, but so did Betamax vs. VHS.
Lowdown

Post by Lowdown »

Anyone mount a set yet?

jEFF
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

drewnamis wrote:I think the main reason is that people understand what offset is, and most people have no idea what backspacing is. So offset is a more universally accepted "concept".

I see how backspace makes more sense, but so did Betamax vs. VHS.
Really? I would think the opposite. To me, +12mm means I have to take the width of the wheel, divide it in half, remember which way "+" is, subtract or add, to get the backspace, which is what my tape measure is showing me. Backspace, to my simple mind, is easy...7 inch wheel, 3 inch backspace, 4 inches the other way.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
Victor_laury

Post by Victor_laury »

I prefer offset for fittment. Once you visualize the fact the you are fitting the TIRE and not the Wheel within the fenders, offset becomes very usefull. Remember the widest portion of the tire wheel assembly is not the wheel but the tire bulge.

if a 14 X 6 @ +6 fits under my fender lip nicely with a 195/60 tire, Will a 14X6.5 @ + 6, 195/60 fit also? Yes it will, as at the bulge, there will be very little difference (3mm) between the 2 fittments in the distance to the fender lip.
readymix

Re: Rota RB Wheels-- Another Alternative to a Panasport?

Post by readymix »

A little update about these wheels.

I purchased a set of them. As I have no experience with Panasport 16x7's on Datsun Roadsters, I don't know exactly what it required to make the Panasports fit, but I have heard that sometimes the front center hub area has to be ground to make them fit, or spacers are used.

I believe this is the case with the Rota RB 16x7 12offset wheels.

The rears fit perfectly with 195/50R-16. You'd need to roll the fender in the rear, but without rolling on a 67 1600, I had about 1/8" of clearance to the tire. With rolling, I'd likely have about a half inch or so. When I get around to rolling the fenders, I'll post pics.

The fronts will need a spacer, I'm guessing around 5-10mm. I placed 2 washers inbetween the wheel and the hub to test for clearance, and that was enough to clear the hub center. I am lazy, so I haven't had a chance to pull the wheel off and measure the width of the two washers together. I will be pulling the wheels off again this weekend to put the old wheels on there to aid in transporting the frame to the powder coater, I'll post up width info at that time.

For reference, the Rota RB 16x7 12offset wheels in 4x114.3 were 560 shipped for the set. Not bad really. And they look great!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ppeters914
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ppeters914 »

readymix wrote:A little update about these wheels.

I purchased a set of them. As I have no experience with Panasport 16x7's on Datsun Roadsters, I don't know exactly what it required to make the Panasports fit, but I have heard that sometimes the front center hub area has to be ground to make them fit, or spacers are used.
That was (still is?) true for Superlites, but not for Panasports.
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
Alvin
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by Alvin »

The rears fit perfectly with 195/50R-16. You'd need to roll the fender in the rear, but without rolling on a 67 1600, I had about 1/8" of clearance to the tire. With rolling, I'd likely have about a half inch or so. When I get around to rolling the fenders, I'll post pics.

The fronts will need a spacer, I'm guessing around 5-10mm. I placed 2 washers inbetween the wheel and the hub to test for clearance, and that was enough to clear the hub center. I am lazy, so I haven't had a chance to pull the wheel off and measure the width of the two washers together. I will be pulling the wheels off again this weekend to put the old wheels on there to aid in transporting the frame to the powder coater, I'll post up width info at that time.

For reference, the Rota RB 16x7 12offset wheels in 4x114.3 were 560 shipped for the set. Not bad really. And they look great!
FANTASTIC!!!
Thanks for doing this finally someone has tried the RBs!!!
What brand/model tire are you using as the size 195/50/16 I've only seen on the A048s?
They look great, that lip looks very pretty. And you just can't beat the pricing on Rota wheels, super cheap!
Now why didn't you get the RB-Rs :smt003
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
readymix

Post by readymix »

Alvin wrote:

FANTASTIC!!!
What brand/model tire are you using as the size 195/50/16 I've only seen on the A048s?
They look great, that lip looks very pretty. And you just can't beat the pricing on Rota wheels, super cheap!
Haha, I'm kicking myself for not getting a pair of RB-R 16x8's for the rears and flaring or pulling the fenders a bit to fit them. The tires I have are Dunlop Direzzas 195/50-16. They were dirty cheap too. Think 78 a piece at Tirerack. Now that I have to start fresh with a new body, maybe I'll have a buddy that does body work put some flares on it. After some thought, I kinda like the way the 69 looks with the polished metal side body lines removed and filled. Since I'm not really going for the collector thing, might as well do something a little different, since my plan of finishing the project by late spring isn't going to happen at this point.
curly2k3

Post by curly2k3 »

readymix wrote:
Alvin wrote:

FANTASTIC!!!
Haha, I'm kicking myself for not getting a pair of RB-R 16x8's for the rears and flaring or pulling the fenders a bit to fit them. The tires I have are Dunlop Direzzas 195/50-16. They were dirty cheap too. Think 78 a piece at Tirerack. Now that I have to start fresh with a new body, maybe I'll have a buddy that does body work put some flares on it. After some thought, I kinda like the way the 69 looks with the polished metal side body lines removed and filled. Since I'm not really going for the collector thing, might as well do something a little different, since my plan of finishing the project by late spring isn't going to happen at this point.
best part about it, is all of his wheels will still be used haha
readymix

Post by readymix »

curly2k3 wrote: best part about it, is all of his wheels will still be used haha
Curly2k3 is my Roadster parts dumpster. When I have stuff that I don't want, he comes and hauls it away.
curly2k3

Post by curly2k3 »

readymix wrote:
curly2k3 wrote: best part about it, is all of his wheels will still be used haha
Curly2k3 is my Roadster parts dumpster. When I have stuff that I don't want, he comes and hauls it away.

:mrgreen: i just grin, drive over, and :smt006 as i drive away
motormaniac

Post by motormaniac »

I have a question regarding the need for spacers up front....

When you want to NOT use spacers are people machining the bore area of the wheel or the hub body?

Both seem like a simple thing to have a machine shop do???

Thanks,
Motor
silvertiger
Roadster Fanatic

Post by silvertiger »

I know this topic has been around a long time yet after reading it no one has asked the bigger question about weight? What is the weight difference between the 13,14,15 or 16? My father and I are still working on my little lady and have not made it to the wheel choice yet. I'm all about the weight of the rim. Yes I think the 16s look wonderful yet if I can same 2-4 pounds by going with a 14 or 15 so be it. Could someone shine some light on this or am I just not looking around on the forum enough?

Thank you,

Trevor
A wise man has the power to reason away what a fool believes.

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

silvertiger wrote: I'm all about the weight of the rim. Yes I think the 16s look wonderful yet if I can same 2-4 pounds by going with a 14 or 15 so be it. Could someone shine some light on this or am I just not looking around on the forum enough?

Thank you,

Trevor
I can't help with the weight specs, but on the big picture, I've read elsewhere that tire weight can vary widely in the same size between different brands and models. Being that the tire is farthest from center, it may become an even bigger factor in how the wheel/tire package works. Be a shame to save 2 pounds on the wheel and buy a tire 3 pounds heavier.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
silvertiger
Roadster Fanatic

Post by silvertiger »

Good point as I just saw a write up in GrassRoots Motorsport. They where doing a test with 6 or so tires for grip,lap times so on. The Kumho XC was faster and lighter by 2 pounds(15").

Trevor
A wise man has the power to reason away what a fool believes.

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”