Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

jrusso07
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Urethane tie rod and ball joint boots

Post by jrusso07 »

After initial install, take a flat blade screw driver and "flip" tHe lower lip into the mount side of the ball joint. To seal it. It is a little tricky to do but ounce you seal it, it doesn't come out again. I will post a pic (tie rod end or center link)

These are pics of the center link. The left hand one is not "seated" (before) the right hand is "seated" (after)

I chose red too

Before: http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/7046/vr0j.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After: http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/3015/irh1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It takes a little patience...place blade of screwdriver under the end of the boot. Lift up until you can slide the blade on top of the casing. Move blade around circumference of casing. Thin wide blades work best. Remember you are compressing that urethane so it will fight you.
Last edited by jrusso07 on Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Joe

1969 SRL311 - Solex
1970 SPL311 - U20 mod
1970 SRL311
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Interesting tip, I had not seen that before.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

I just got done greasing the front end, and all of mine look like your first pic, me not knowing of this trick. I will give it a try too! Thanks for posting... Learn new stuff all the time from this great bunch!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
svwilbur

Post by svwilbur »

reviving a thread. im interested in how to seat the boots.

I plan on doing the boot install soon, a couple weeks from now.
but the pictures above are lost like half the pictures always seem to be as they are from a private site and not uploaded.

can someone explain this boot seating process better or post a picture?
Stacey Wilbur
1970 2000 SRL311-14335 White
svwilbur

Post by svwilbur »

can someone explain this boot seating process better or post a picture?
Stacey Wilbur
1970 2000 SRL311-14335 White
111jag
Roadster Fanatic

Post by 111jag »

Yes, pictures uploaded by Photoshop and other private sites are not visible anymore because sites like Photoshop are now charging money for pictures. It is a shame for forums like this one because a lot of pictures are now missing. Anyhow, I'm in the process of buying boots and seating them as well. Can someone please answer the above question from 2016 and the best place to buy boots at a reasonable price?
Last edited by 111jag on Thu May 23, 2019 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FergO2k

Post by FergO2k »

Energy Suspension has them (Ron's post has the list) and they work great. I am sure numerous vendors have them as well. (Support Our Vendors!)

In terms of seating them, you can see from the pics that still are viewable on Page 1 that new vs OEM are a little different design, but both function the same. (positive pressure of grease keeps the joint surrounded, keeping dirt and moisture out, refill regularly based on use and heat. Pump until it squeezes out, then gently wipe off the excess, good to go)
(note: it is just the new ones are easier to mold and less expensive to tool for molding, and the materials are WAY better suited for the beating that underbelly use dishes out)

So, "rimming them in".
The joint/metallic may have a slight undercut for the boot rim to ride into. If this is the case, they have sized them so that the boot is squeezed tight over the normal diameter shaft, but "slips" in to this undercut. But you have to get it there.
The flat blade screwdriver works, you are just laying the blade so that tip is normal/perpendicular to joint shaft, twist/cant the blade slightly so one side is higher, then make high side the trailing edge and starting working the boot up untilit "clicks" into the slot. Now when you pump the grease, it is going to come out the top because that location is a mere friction fit.
Some prefer the dental tool instead of the flat blade screwdriver, but that is more prone to sticking/tearing the boot.
I would have to say the new urethane boots are very durable, and if you throw them in the clothes dryer for 2-5 minutes they are very soft and workable. (only do this when they are new and clean!!!)
Fergus O
69 2L, SUs (driver, not susceptible to polish)
02 Tacoma 4 door (sold at 300k miles!)
2017 Honda Ridgeline (2021 purchase)
Los Alamitos, CA
FergO2k

Post by FergO2k »

http://fcrcmachine.com/rare-parts-upper ... ter-10250/

this one has an undercut in the joint on the lower side for the boot to index into
Fergus O
Los Alamitos, CA
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

My old boots are torn and I want to replace them with these, Ive had them for a while and now seems like the best time to do it.

Is there a walk-through for a newbie like me?
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96
FergO2k

Post by FergO2k »

No, but we can make one, and I have the pickle fork and BFH to loan you for removing the joints.
I got a small bin and put 1/2 gal of diesel in it to use as "parts washer" that worked great and left the surroundings clean as well.
Best time to do shock/spring, etc at same time, if you need to.
Fergus O
Los Alamitos, CA
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

I have a pickle fork and also have some NOS parts upper splindles. I kinda want to knock those out together
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96
TeemuM
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by TeemuM »

I bought these for my car. Seems to fit in place ok.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/322223246698
https://www.ebay.com/itm/321829350427