RE; stuck SU choke

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

70MTroadster

RE; stuck SU choke

Post by 70MTroadster »

Hey Steve,

It's a perfect, no wind, sunny day here in Missoula so I went down to storage and checked out the stuck choke problem. I pulled the domes and pistons out and sure enough the front choke was stuck. I ended up dissconnecting the cable and it then returned OK. The PO wired the cable ends down into their respective wells on the carbs, I presume to help the choke cables stay put and do their job.......dunno. I took the opurtunity to drive the car all over city streets for a while, trying to keep everything "being used" until spring arrives. The car runs STRONG. GREAT THERAPY :D Sure swiveled a bunch of heads from fellow drivers 8)

Did I read somewhere that the U shaped hoses on the bottom of the carbs are made of Neoprene so they stay flexible as opposed to regular fuel line? My carbs have the regular fuel line on them.

Springs comming (for us NW folks anyway) :wink:

scott
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

SU Carb Fuel Lines

Post by spl310 »

It is strongly recommended that you use something other than regular fule line for that connection. The factory stuff is spendy, but there is a lower cost alternative. Measure the fuel fitting, and go to your local small engine repair store. Buy some fuel line there (for blowers, line trimmers, etc) to replace the stock stuff. The stuff I got came in a transparent yellow, so you can see if garbage is flowing through. The cost was fairly cheap (about a buck and a half for the car) and the product works well. It is made for a very inhospitable environment (high heat and high vibration).

Some folks have suggested that you buy model airplane fuel line - DON'T DO IT unless it is clearly marked that it is for gasoline. Most of the model airplane fuel line is not compatible with gas - it will disintegrate and cause BIG problems.

Enjoy!

Sid
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Stuck Chokes

Post by S Allen »

Scott,

Yeah, Sid is absolutely right. Get the right fuel line for the bottom of the carbs sooner than later. Some one before you just did not know any better. Sounds like it runs pretty darn good. ---And part of the fun of owning a roadster is fixing the little things to keep it on the road. Enjoy!! :lol:

Steve
70MTroadster

small engine fuel line

Post by 70MTroadster »

:D Outstanding you guys. I love this site. I'll try Ace Hardware on the way home......thanks again.

scott
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

ACE probably won't have it. I had to get it at a place that repairs lawnmowers and such. But it would not hurt to check with ACE. When you look at the fuel line, there are two types available. One looks like vinyl tubing. Don't get that one - it hardens with age and exposure to fuel. Fine for a mower, but not fuel jets on a SU carb. The other resembles silicone or surgical tubing. It has a matte finish rather than the gloss of the vinyl stuff. That is the one you want.

Sid
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
TR

Fuel Line

Post by TR »

My two cents:

Buy the Nissan fuel line or the line that Ztherapy carries. Your chokes will move freely and any insurance against an engine fire is worth the money...

Travis