Steering Wheel Nut - Size and Thread????

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

msampsel
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Re: Steering Wheel Nut - Size and Thread????

Post by msampsel »

leonhart wrote:Ah, you know I think I forgot about Ross somehow. I've contacted some others who were recommended, but I forgot about Ross, even though I've purchased from him before. Thanks for the reminder! If he doesn't have one, I'll check with the eBay guys.

Thanks!
PM sent
67 1600 (Mods only a mother could love)
78 911 SC Targa (Severe Oversteer but still loved)
devo
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by devo »

leonhart wrote:Sorry to bump a nearly decade old thread (about threads), but I've got the same question and can't seem to find the answer anywhere. Much of my Roadster came in boxes, but despite many random nuts & bolts - that particular nut is nowhere to be found.

I've bought both sizes mentioned in this thread (5/8 x 18 & M16x1.5) but neither works on my '67 1600, while they both almost seem to start they stop and I'm scared I'll start cross-threading the steering column.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've checked a few of the vendors...but haven't quite worked anything out there yet (not to mention, the one site I see it listed, my minimum shipping cost will be $30+)...

If anyone can confirm size/thread, that'd be great. Or if anyone has a spare from a parts car or something?
If Ross doesn't have it, this one just popped up on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-Roadster ... Iz&vxp=mtr
sports imports
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by sports imports »

I have some steering wheel nuts in hand. I robbed them off three parts cars in the yard.
A. 64 1500 nut
B. 65 1500 nut
C. 68 1600 nut

A and B are the same 5/8 by 18 . C is thicker and does not thread onto early columns and is metric.

learnt something new today.
Ross
sports imports
Curtis
Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Curtis »

sports imports wrote:I have some steering wheel nuts in hand. I robbed them off three parts cars in the yard.
A. 64 1500 nut
B. 65 1500 nut
C. 68 1600 nut

A and B are the same 5/8 by 18 . C is thicker and does not thread onto early columns and is metric.

learnt something new today.
Ross
sports imports
You can teach an old dog new tricks. Me, I have CRS syndrome, Can't Remember Squat....
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
tdbob1
Roadster Newby

Post by tdbob1 »

I have the same problem in that I lost the steering wheel nut. Mine is a 1968 2000. Appears, from the other responses, that it's a metric nut, but can anyone confirm the size and threads?
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by redroadster »

I believe that nut was a special thread and size , meaning to have it fit smoothly it was made a odd size that only 'datsun had
they seemed to have a nickel coating on the threads on old 60s datsuns , that is what I remember our parts manag saying , he was very good
and they thught it was a old british used thread
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster