Steering Box on a 1966 Roadster

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Ivin

Steering Box on a 1966 Roadster

Post by Ivin »

I was wanting to change the oil in my steering box. I easly found the plastic nut to check the oil level but I can't find the drain plug. Although I have a manuel, I still can't find it. The font of my steering box has three bolts that hold on a plate. If I can find a place to post a picture, I will take a digital photograph and maybe someone can help me.

Thanks,

Ivin
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Steering Box Plug

Post by S Allen »

Ivin,

The drain plug is located on the outside towards the bottom of the steering box. Turn the drivers side front wheel out and peer in at the steering box location. If that does not give you a good enough look-pull the drivers's side wheel off. You should see a four sided plug. It looks like a pipe plug. You may be able to get to it from the top but the bottom gives you the best look at it. Good luck!

Steve
TR

Drain Plug!?

Post by TR »

I thought the early to mid 69 (Worm and Peg) steering boxes did not have a drain plug, but the mid 69 and up (ballscrew) steering boxes did have a drain plug. Or was it the other way around?

Anyways, one can be syphoned and flushed, the other has a drain plug...

I'll see if I can find out which had the plug and which does not, TR
S Allen
Site Admin

RE:Drain Plug

Post by S Allen »

The 66 the plug is as my above post. I went and looked at my 66 in the grarge last night. You are right though you could always siphon it if you have to. :lol:

Steve
Ivin

Thanks........ It was right in front of my face

Post by Ivin »

Thanks
TR

More info...Inter-change-ability???

Post by TR »

Glad you found it. I thought I would add that you can use a syringe to siphon, I don't think you want 20+yr old 90W in your mouth!

A reference says that the worm units have a drain and the ball units do not. The switch occurs at SPL-24000 and SRL-9000. Both units require 8-9oz of oil.

:?: Does anyone know if a ball unit can be used in place of a worm unit? I have been told that the ball units steer much better...

TR
S Allen
Site Admin

RE:re-fitting a late steering box for an early steering box

Post by S Allen »

I have no personal experience with this one but have heard it can be done. I have no clue as to what is involved and what all you have to change out. Any one else???

Steve
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Steering boxes

Post by SLOroadster »

I thought it would be a great swap onto a 67.5 2000, but it is not easy to do. The idler box is different and the mounting points are as well. In the event that a car is all apart and the steering gear is in easy reach, this could be an easer swap. The two are very different in appearance. The late style does steer better. (My car just barely made the cut, SRL-09380). In your case TR you might explore this option.
Will
Datsa 66

Late Steering Box Swap

Post by Datsa 66 »

I am having this done on my 67.5 2000 restoration. I did need a new idler box and the frame had to be notched to accept the newer steering box. It can be done but I had it done by a professional. I do not think it is a back yard project. When I get some pics I will post them to my website.

Andrew Murphy
TR

Steering Conversion

Post by TR »

Andrew, that would be much appreciated!

What is the URL of your website?
Who is doing the conversion for you?

All information would be greatly appreciated, Travis