Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

SR20DET Installation

Post by S Allen »

TR came through as promised and provided a write up along with some pictures of his SR20DET install into his 66 Roadster. You can check it out by going here. http://www.311s.org/tech/engine/sr20det.html

Thanks for sharing TR.

Steve
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Rear end

Post by SLOroadster »

Travis,
Did that rear end work out for you?
-Will
70MTroadster

Turbo heat & rear end

Post by 70MTroadster »

Hey TR,

Thanks a million for the ongoing article on the SR20DET into your '66. I hope you make good progress and are able to get it on the road soon.

I wonder about the placement of the turbo as regards it heating up the side of the engine? Perhaps some sort of shielding and/or an oil cooler? I've read that underhood temps can be pretty high with a turbo engine. What do you think? A concern? Maybe not?

And like Will, I too am curious as to your progress on obtaining a true limitied slip unit for that complete rearend you just got. Keep us posted, eh?

Scott
TR

SR20DET and Limited Slip

Post by TR »

Turbo Heat - Yes, I'm concerned about all of the heat from the turbo. The Nissan engineers put some thought into it, too. The oil drain line from the turbo to the oil pan has a metalized shield over the hose. The manifold has a shield, but only on the top (probably to ensure the hood paint doesn't fade). The funny thing, both the water and oil hoses that deliver to the turbo are not shielded...

I'm moving the turbo from 3" of gap to 1" of gap to the aluminum block. Granted this is right where the water jacket is...I have pondered a shield, but I think I might just duct some airflow into the gap...We'll see when I get closer...

Limited Slips-I have found an aftermarket supplier in Japan. Supposed to be very high quality, price is about 1200. Garage Altair is the name of the shop. As I find out more, I will post it...

Travis