Clutch/transmission problem

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

senojjones

Clutch/transmission problem

Post by senojjones »

The car won't shift into gear without grinding gears. I bled the clutch master, it was really soft. Now it's nice and firm, and the piston on the clutch slave appears to move (i can feel it move, not sure how far)

Doesn't appear to be leaking fluid.

when I try to shift into gear with the engine running it's clear the clutch is not disengaging, won't go into any gear without grinding.

(not really interested in grinding the gears, didn't push this too far)

it was working fine a month ago..

any ideas?

jim jones jacksonville
spyder
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Clutch/transmission problem

Post by spyder »

Check the pin through the pedal which connects the cylinder rod. Mine was so worn that the pedal had to be almost to the floor before I had good disengagement. I drilled a new hole about an inch closer to the pedal and used a new pin with no slop. It gave me more movement at the slave and solved the grinding problem with quick, hi rpm shifts. (Disclaimer) It will also increase the pedal effort.

Also, have you adjusted the throwout rod. It should have a small amount of movement without the pedal pressed.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

It's amazing how important that little pin is. I got a replacement at Home Depot, works great.

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Hey Jim,

Welcome to the forum! All of the usual suspects for your clutch have been covered. If you need a hand with anything, let me know since I am local. Are you going to the Cruise In?
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...