68 2000 light problem

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Re: 68 2000 light problem

Post by 2mAn »

Well... I went out and was going to take the Roadster out on its first night drive in my ownership and the lights dont work again...

I dont know what to do. What do I need to confirm? Where could the issue be?
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96
RustBucket
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by RustBucket »

Start tracing the wires voltage from the lights back up the circuit. Meaning check for voltage at each junction point between switch and light. At some point it should drop and you can start a secondary trouble shooting from there.
I highly recommend buying one of Curtis' wiring harnesses. They're awesome!
Rustbucket
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
67.5 1600
Orange County, CA
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

I would jumper power to each of the red/white and red/black wires at the headlight relay. If both headlights work on high and low then hook them back up and jump power to the terminal with the red/yellow wire. The high or low should come on. Then while you have that hooked up pull the black wire and ground and unground it. Your lights should switch up and down.

That will tell you that the relay is good or not. If so then the problem is up the line.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

RustBucket wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:33 pm Start tracing the wires voltage from the lights back up the circuit. Meaning check for voltage at each junction point between switch and light. At some point it should drop and you can start a secondary trouble shooting from there.
I highly recommend buying one of Curtis' wiring harnesses. They're awesome!
Rustbucket
Sadly, I dont have the tools or knowledge on this, but definitely am considering one of Curtis' harness, but the Roadster fund is a dry lake right now after last year... slowly building it back up now.
Curtis wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:05 pm I would jumper power to each of the red/white and red/black wires at the headlight relay. If both headlights work on high and low then hook them back up and jump power to the terminal with the red/yellow wire. The high or low should come on. Then while you have that hooked up pull the black wire and ground and unground it. Your lights should switch up and down.

That will tell you that the relay is good or not. If so then the problem is up the line.
I think I can do this!

Also can you LMK how much a harness for my 68 would be?
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Simon,
Good to acknowledge what you have done and not done of the previous suggestions because otherwise it is too hard to figure out, except for Curtis.
Unless Curtis hires some elves, which I would recommend, his harness work is very popular and there will be a lag. Plus he needs to work on his own car, and he is supposed to be retired! :lol: :lol:
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

Linda wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:05 pm Simon,
Good to acknowledge what you have done and not done of the previous suggestions because otherwise it is too hard to figure out, except for Curtis.
Unless Curtis hires some elves, which I would recommend, his harness work is very popular and there will be a lag. Plus he needs to work on his own car, and he is supposed to be retired! :lol: :lol:
Linda
Yes Linda, I am supposed to be retired. I just finished taping up an engine and dash for Spreadbury this morning. Made up some light sockets for testing harnesses. I even spent a few minutes on my own new harness which has been sitting unfinished for several months.

I was supposed to go to Taiwan in a few days for a trip but that is now scrubbed. I teach class 3 nights a week plus I'm often busy on weekends with tournaments and seminars. Monday I am driving up north of Seattle about an hour to have my frame powder coated along with many other pieces. I will also take my third member to Z Sport in Everett to have new bearings put in it, tired of the howling. So Monday is shot. Going to pull wire for engine harnesses this afternoon in between sets on the StairMaster.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Help Wanted: ELVES
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

@2man

Try the headlight relay - either from the Techwiki (I think Curtis wrote it) OR purchase a relay kit from Victoria British. About $30, uses the headlight power to work a dual relay system. not only bypasses (essentially) the original harness, but makes the standard Hellas almost BLIND you, the difference that full power makes.

And you can make it into a reasonably unobtrusive setup, on the passenger side on the inner fender.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California