Stalls when turning left.......no more! (update)

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

wgb1
Roadster Fanatic

Stalls when turning left.......no more! (update)

Post by wgb1 »

Well, it took a while, but my mechanic friend finally found the the culprit making the car stall on left turns. Initially he thought it had to be the dizzy as he could not find anything else. He rebuilt the dizzy which turned out not to be the problem, although, he did say there were a number of issues with the distributor that new bushings and a recurve kit and some lubrication remedied. When we installed the EI conversion kit, I also purchased a new Pertronix coil and that was where the problem was found.....in the new coil. As it turns out, there was something loose inside the coil (which can be heard when it is moved around) that when making left turns, caused it to shift inside the coil and short against the housing. His best guess anyway. At any rate, replaced the coil and voila! She runs better than ever and now never misses a beat regardless of what direction I turn. 8)
datsunrides
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by datsunrides »

Interesting. Never heard of that before. Put that one in the old memory. Good detective work on solving that!

Mark
1966 Roadster
Turbo / EFI U20 (T25 w/ SDS EMU.)
ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by ppeters914 »

Definitely interesting. I'd consider opening it with a hacksaw to find the rattle. Bet it would make a good pic. :roll:
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
wgb1
Roadster Fanatic

Post by wgb1 »

ppeters914 wrote:Definitely interesting. I'd consider opening it with a hacksaw to find the rattle. Bet it would make a good pic. :roll:
I am curious myself and if I am unable to return the coil (because I can't seem to locate any receipts), I may do exactly that. I would like to know what is rattling inside. Changing the coil was, in fact, what ultimately eliminated the stalling problem.