Original Locking Gas Cap?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

70MTroadster

Original Locking Gas Cap?

Post by 70MTroadster »

I bought this off Ebay. When it arrived I tried to get it to work but the dogs that engage the interior of the filler neck protrude way too far beyond the rubber gasket and so the cap would not seal at all. I built a thick steel "washer" in the lathe that would go under the rubber gasket, thus reducing the "slop" and it now goes on tight and works fine. BUT, instead of sitting over the filler neck, it sits, basically, on top of it. Anybody have an original locking cap like this one (or is this an original?) that can shed some light on what is going on here? The car is a 70 1600 and as far as I know is completely stock as far as the gas tank filler goes.
Also, I would guess the inside diameter of the cap is 1/4 inch bigger than the outside diameter of the filler neck. Is this normal?

Scott

refer to this link for a pic that might explain better what I'm getting at; http://www.311s.org/PublicPics/gascaplock.jpg
DELETED

Gas caps are different on a 70

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
70MTroadster

RE; original cap

Post by 70MTroadster »

Thanks Mark, I knew if I posted it on this site I would get an answer.

Since I want a locking cap, I'll get by with the modification I made to it and be happy.

scott
DELETED

Correct Gas Cap

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

locking gas cap filler neck

Post by spl310 »

I know that I have a spare early filler neck lying around here. If you want it, contact me off the bulletin board at spl310@hotmail.com
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
Victor Laury

Just Say No!

Post by Victor Laury »

Hey! The smooth gas cap is an item that makes a 70 a 70!