Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

kt

CA plates

Post by kt »

I've noticed some states have the 'classic car' plates,
I havent heard CA to have this tho.

I have the new white plates on my car, is there any
way to get the old black or blue plates?
Revbang

Post by Revbang »

In Missouri they allow you to use an antique plate stamped with the year of your car. Only one plate was used in 1967 in Missouri so I assume that you only need one plate. You have to mail them a picture of the plate and they let you know if it is OK or if it conflicts with their current numbering system. The instructions were on the back of the registration application. A call down to your local DMV will probably yield some results. Mark
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Classic Plates

Post by S Allen »

I went to the California DMVs website and they have nothing concerning special plates for classic cars. I think the only way you could run the old black and yellow plates is if they happen to come with a car. There is always the personalized plate but they are kind of pricy if you ask me.

Steve
TR

CA Plates

Post by TR »

I would bet that with a bit of trickery you could get black and yellow plates past the DMV. What do you guys think of this?

Pick out what you want on the plates (consistent with the scheme of the era (3 letters, space, 3 numbers)).

Go to the DMV with the bogus story of a car left on your property with such and such plate, "I want to know the DMV record for a car with plate number XXX 123". Maybe you want to contact the last owner before you send the car to the junk yard???

If they say no history, say thanks...

As an alternate, find some plates on a car you know has no history (sitting in a field forever, etc.).

Call one of the places that makes/restores plates. Order the plates you want. There are a ton of them on the web, search for "license plate restoration".

With my car, the next part is easy. It has been sitting non registered for years, so I have to have a peace officer sign off on the VIN and plates. If your car is currently registered...The DMV allows you to move vanity plates from one car to another, they might allow you to move your "old" plates to your new car...

A trip to the DMV may produce better answers than this scheme...And, by the way, if someone gets in big trouble trying this, I was just making a suggestion, use you own judgement! TR
TR

IH8 DMV

Post by TR »

I think I will see if I can get IH8 DMV through the system.

I was just at the DMV and they took my beautifully restored plates from me. They say that the plates have to be '62 or older to be reinstated. I'm sure the policy varies, I just happened to land the wicked witch when I got to the front of the line.

These were the original plates issued to the car in '66, but since the title had lapsed and dropped from the DMV database, I'm SOL according to the WW.

Oh well, now I have crappy new plates...TR
Minh
Roadsteraholic

Post by Minh »

Well it starts at $41 plus the $25 annual renewal.

https://vrir.dmv.ca.gov/ipp/PerLicensePlateServlet

The only cool thing is that you can keep it for life and apply it to any car you own. Its just not cool to have like "SRL 311" on anything but a SRL 311. :(

Strangely I have, really have, seen California collector car plates before. They must have stopped doing it...
'69 1982cc SU
'74 1600cc VW Bug
http://www.311s.org/registry/1969/srl311-07837.html
When life hands you lemons, ask for TEQUILA AND SALT!