Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

flying4fish
Roadster Nut
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: opps! cant open trunk

Post by flying4fish »

If the lock spun, as you describe, will I be able to open it if I drill out the lock? Not sure how to do that without making a mess of things, but can't have this car with the trunk stuck closed forever!
flying4fish
Roadster Nut

Re: oops! cant open trunk

Post by flying4fish »

I have a small scope/camera that I was able to stick up into the trunk from the grommet beneath the latch. When I put the key in the lock and turn it, I can see the lock/opener from below...what that tells me is somehow the opener mechanism spun all the way past where it was supposed to open the trunk and now it's under the latch instead of hovering just above the latch. Not sure how that could happen without the trunk opening, but the trunk has always been a bit of a bear to open, requiring quite a bit of torque on the key. It's hard to see if the position of the opener is now in the way of opening the trunk with the bent wire method. It's also hard to know why the trunk isn't opening in the first place. Frustrating situation!
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Re: opps! cant open trunk

Post by Linda »

A locksmith can probably get it.

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.