Axle end play for Roadster rear end ?????????

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

itsa68
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Axle end play for Roadster rear end ?????????

Post by itsa68 »

Does anyone know the axle end play specifications for the Roadster rear end?

I would like to adjust the end play using shims between the brake backing plate and axle housing but I cannot find the specifications for the Roadster in any of the factory manuals that I have.
Chilton was of also void of this information.

If someone can solve this mystery and post the factory numbers, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ray B.
Thats not a R16 death rattle....its a dried leaf hitting my heater blower fan.
1968 SPL311 non-smog
datsunrides
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by datsunrides »

The end play given in Dean's manual states .012"-.020" Hope this helps.

Mark
1966 Roadster
Turbo / EFI U20 (T25 w/ SDS EMU.)
itsa68
Roadsteraholic

Post by itsa68 »

Thanks Mark.

That looks to be the same as the WPL510 wagon which has a similiar rear end.

There is also a technical arcticle for rear axle bearings in the Datsun Roadster Review Volume 5 - 1988 Number 5, but unfortunately, I only have issues that dating back to 1989.

I'm curious what they have written up for rear bearing replacement and end play specifications.

Does anyone happen to have that issue?
Are the end play specs the same and are there any additional installation/measurement tips?

Do you have to do a trial fit up to check the end play before final axle installation?

Thanks
Ray B.
1968 SPL311 non-smog
datsunrides

Post by datsunrides »

Ray,

I cannot find any info in vol.5 #5 about rear wheel bearings. Maybe a different issue or mine may be missing pages? When I did mine, I installed the axle and bolted it up with no shims and measured it with a magnetic base dial indicator. Took that measurement and subtracted it from the spec to get the shim stack thickness. Pretty simple. FYI, I have a bunch of copies from the review dating from 1984 to 1993. Not sure if I have every issue, but I probably have most of them.

Mark
1966 Roadster
spyder
Model: 2000

Post by spyder »

Since the axels are held in by the bearing and the press on collar, wouldn't the play be determined by how tight the bearing is. My l520 truck has the similar rear end but the rear bearings are tapered and held in place by a large nut over the axle. In this case I can see why the play is important. I replaced my roadster rear bearings in the late 80's, paid no attention to shims or play and have had no problems FWIW.
mgslayer
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mgslayer »

Stupid question :roll: I guess it's the rain the last 2 days that's making my brain mush. You are talking about horizontal play right? If I have the car on stands and I pull the wheel towards me? I can feel a little bit of movement on the d-side, but nothing noticible on the p-side. Same thing as Spyder, I replaced mine +/- 1990 w/no issues to date. Anything I should watch for?
Thanks
Mark
Mark
Taneytown MD
1968 SRL311
datsunrides

Post by datsunrides »

The bearing "floats" (kinda) inside the axle housing. I would guess that due to manufacturing tolerances, it would be possible to install the axle assembly with preload, which would be bad. The shims are there, I would assume, to prevent this condition. When I did mine, even with no shims, there was still .010 of end play. I am sure 95% of roadsters would be fine without the shims. All the collar does is hold the bearing on. It has nothing to do with preload or end play as it is against the inner race.

Mark
1966 Roadster
itsa68
Roadsteraholic

Post by itsa68 »

Mark,
I fat fingered the number, it should have been Volume 5 Number 6.

Once I get the collars pressed on, I'll assemble and check both axles to see what end play is present and shim each axle accordingly to get the .012"-.020" per axle.

Mgslayer,
At this point I am assuming that both sides, not just one, will be adjusted for the mentioned end play.

Spyder,
It been a long time since I last replaced a set of roadster rear bearings, so most of my notes and specs have been misplaced.
Funny thing is that I can readily find the L520 end play spec (first shaft .033"-43", second shaft .004") in the Chilton manual.
The manual's solid rear axle section lists 13 applicable Dastun models , but only specifies end play data for five of them.

Ray B.
Last edited by itsa68 on Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1968 SPL311 non-smog
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

This is good info, I will hopefully be doing this next weekend. I really don't know if I will be attending Solvang this year or not. If I do, it will be a last minute thing. I'm not really big on doing last minute throw together projects and then driving them 400 miles untested.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
datsunrides

Post by datsunrides »

Ok, volume 5 #6 does have a tech tip on rear axle bearing replacement but does not give end play tolerances. Just says to use the same amount of shims as was there if you cannot measure end play. Good memory Ray!

Mark
1966 Roadster
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Re: Axle end play for Roadster rear end ?????????

Post by Linda »

Thread revival.
How do you measure end play, and where can I find new shims?
Thanks,

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
itsa68
Roadsteraholic

Post by itsa68 »

A dial gauge is required to measure the play when you pull/push on the axle hub.
http://bebrs.pie-dabas.net/Webs/Terrano/R20/ra.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shim material can be obtained from McMaster Carr in various thicknesses.
Ray B.
1968 SPL311 non-smog
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Thanks Ray.
Shim thickness is .003 on the shim in my car.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.