Starter Question

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

70MTroadster

Starter Question

Post by 70MTroadster »

Steve Allen has me pumped to stroke my R16 to a 2 litre and I am going to do it as soon as I can assemble all the parts. I want to put a 5 speed behind it.

My question is; I understand if I use the 5 speed I need the thicker engine backing plate to alleviate any undue thrust on the main shaft nose. Can I still use my 1600 Starter?

scott
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

starter

Post by SLOroadster »

As far as I know, the 1600 and 2000 starters are interchangeable. I think they might be different sizes, but both mount the same way. I think I read somewhere that one can be swaped with another to clear the headers or manifold on the other car, but I can't remember.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
-Will
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:1600 Starter

Post by S Allen »

Scott,

You can use the 1600 starter but the 2 liter starter is a highly recommended replacement. It is shorter and easier to put in and take out if the need ever arises but a 1600 starter will still work. Make sure you remove the triangular piece in the back side of the fender well while you have the motor out. Removing it makes starter replacement a much faster-easier job. You should be able to drill the spot welds out and reuse it by bolting it back in place. I fabricated a piece of aluminum for mine and bolted it in place. Another thing about the 1600 starter is that being longer it sits closer to the header and heat will eventually kill it. My thoughts anyway.

Steve
70MTroadster

starter question

Post by 70MTroadster »

Well, guess I'll bid on that used U20 starter on Ebay then. And/or think about checking out the price of the one that Dean/Fairlady products sells that is supposed to be really cool. Thanks for the info.

scott
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Starters

Post by S Allen »

I have several spare 2 liter starters. I try to pick them up cheaply and then get them rebuilt for around $65.00 a shot. I also do that with the OEM water pumps-find a place that rebuilds them and it will save you some bucks down the road. I have yet to have had a problem with any of my rebuilts. That starter Dean is selling is most likely a gear eduction starter. They are pretty pricy but the life expectancy is longer. Go 2 liter! :lol:

Steve